GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last Month 2 Times I got into My Truck and my "Digital Speedometer" Was GONE! What was in the Display was from the Infotainment System. It was a Sirus New Song that was Playing. I Could NOT Get the DIgital Speedometer to Show back up I went though All The Settings and Options and Still Could Not get IT BACK! On Sunday It HAPPENED Again. This Time I got in my Silverado and the "Digital Speedometer" was again GONE but the CD in the CDE Player was in the Dsashboard Display. I have NEVER Changed any Setting from the Day I Drove it on the Dealerships Lot and This IS A Pain to get Back. The first Time I know someone that Works for GM and He Played Around for 30 Minutes and Finally got it back but he is Not Sure How he Did. I use the Digital Speedometer to set the Cruise Control and Accustom to Seeing it and I went thru the Setting in the Dash Display and Cannot Find the Digital Speedometer to get It Back!
Why does GM / Chevrolet Make Chages and Not Return the System to what I had a a Default? And When I purchased my Truck did I agree to Allow them to do This? Also Can Someone get This To Stop HAPPENING?
And does any one have Step by Step Instructions getting this Digital DIsplay Back? It is a 2017 Silverado with many gadgets. Any one Know How to get this BACK?
Newaygo101

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Howdy and welcome. Go ahead and delete the other post. Everyone can see every new post, so you only need it in one spot. Helps keep all the thoughts and ideas together so everyone can follow.

This has to be so frustrating. Sorry I have no frame of reference to start to help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Random, It just started Happening 3 weeks ago and Now It has Happen Twice Now. I NEVER Change any of the Setting since I bought this Truck It Just seems to "HAPPEN". Other Systems get something similar ie Infotainment System about every 30 days I get in my Truck and start it and the Radio Display center of Dashboard Pops up a "Warning and asks if I want the Display in "ENGLISH" If I have NEVER want another Language why does it Continue to Pop and Ask Me. This is easy just touch the Touchscreen" "OK" and It is done till the Next Time Like They Are "Tweaking" the Firmware and though random it is about every 30 days. The Digital Speedometer Just Is Gone and It is has been when I start the Truck it is GONE and Then I can't find it in the "Setting Options"
Newaygo 101

·
Registered
13,464 Posts
GM isn't making those changes

Yes, they can update the software by downloading changes to your modules; but those updates do not change the owner's customized display interface. The system is designed to allow this (just like your phone when an OS update is performed).

If the displays are changing, there is a problem with the systems in the truck.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Something is happening and resetting the micro controller, and/or a checksum error in the on-board nonvolatile memory. This reverts the unit back to the state as its left the factory (Delphi). And hence why it is asking you for the language. When the truck arrives at the dealer they usually will see this message and set up the unit in the new car prep.
This is fault of intermittent electronics. Electro-static damage to the electronics is a very common cause this type of problem. In this case it is likely a bad EEPROM.
But if this unit is under factory warranty, take a pic and get a warranty replacement.
I had a problem with my radio in my W/T and it would go stupid once in a while. Took a pic, showed it to the service writer, and got a new radio.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well Looks Like I need to Contact My Dealer as I am just under 36K MIles and Hope it is Cover under the 36 K Warranty. Sad This is 2 Issues with Different Systems on this Truck. I have owned 4 New Chevy Trucks and This has had 2 Firmware Racalls on taking it in once Last Year and once early this year. And Now This Doubt I will EVER buy another NEW Truck wth all these "GADGETS" nothing But PROBLEMS!!!!! SAD They Have Electronics ISSUES Like This If the Radio SHould Stay in English and Not Ask if Driver wants it in English EVERY 30 days or the Digital Speedometer disappearing on It's Own and a DISTRACTION Caused because It is GONE!

Okay Need to CALL my Dealer ASAP and Get them to Know as I have a 475 road Trip this Weekend and I would be over the 36K Mileage and Out of Warranty Coverage. And My Dealer is an Hour Away...
Thanks for the HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hope it is Covered...
Newaygo 101

·
Registered
2014 GMC Sierra Z71
95 Posts
Y-yikes. I am in the IT field, and we would often wonder what it would be like if the Space Shuttle had run on Microsoft Windows. We were just joking back then. I guess we know now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since you mention Space Exploration- Not Really as I know someone that worked on some of the Electronics; He worked on the Spacesuit that was used to walk on the Moon as well as the Moon Rover Vehicle that was used also way back on the Moon. All those that Tested and come up with these Electronics have all been Forgotten you only hear about those "Star" Astronauts not those that helped design those Systems... Oh Well That is how it works.
I just hope they (Dealership) can find these "Intermittent" Electronics Problems and get them Resolved! One Can Only HOPE!
Newaygo 101

1 - 9 of 9 Posts