GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
mYname is Nicholas, I have a 1994 gmc Cheyenne and I was wondering what people thought I should get for the following parts
Oils throughout trams, diff and motor
Also led replacement lights tail lamps and interior front is done
Also spark plugs wires and ignition coil
And also I'm wondering what you think I should do for performance upgrades ... nothing too crazy I just wanna know what's the best bang for your buck as far as upgrades or replacement parts

I also have Gibson headers and an exhaust. Everything else is stock

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was thinking an msd ignition and maybe some accel plugs

Ideally I just want to get the best most realiable quality performance replacement parts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And really I want to maintain good gas efficiency but also have it never efficient for performance too I will be towing soon and uphill sand mountains

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Howdy and welcome, Nicholas. You left out a couple of important pieces of information. What engine, what kind of transmission, and what is your axle gear ratio?

Forgive the foray into Mr. Obvious territory for a moment, but it is a truck. The gas mileage is not going to be the greatest but you already know that because it’s a truck.

In 1994, there were not a lot of options without significant engine and computer modifications. I have owned two, a 94 and 95.

I’m not saying that there’s nothing you can do, because there are some very good options, it’s just a matter of your budget.

Your gas mileage is going to be a direct function of the amount of input received from the go button. The L05 heads on the throttlebody engine are not the best flowing heads that Chevy ever made. Unless you’re going to do significant modifications like completely replace the engine with something else, you’re limited to airflow through the engine at a upper limit of the power band right around 4000 or 4500 rpm. For starters your best bang for the buck is to check and see what condition your spark plugs are in, what your compression ratio is, your fuel pressure is doing, gear ratio and tire size, condition of your thermostat and coolant temperature sensor in the thermostat housing, The condition of all of the grounding wires in the engine bay plus the one back at the fuel pump on the frame rail, and the condition of the vacuum lines and your throttlebody gasket.

If your budget is small, and assuming your engine compression numbers are still good, there is a relatively easy addition to make without even having to change the computer program. A Meling MTC-1 camshaft and lifters (assuming you have the 5.7L) will give you a very nice boost in the torque departments at the low end of the power band. You will feel this immediately. It improves horsepower a bit, but it will put more torque under your foot then you presently have. Assuming nothing was done to the engine since it was born, this will be a very noticeable and welcome improvement.

I mention this because the computer in the throttlebody trucks is very sensitive to modifications. You can’t get very aggressive with your cam shaft without freaking out the computer. If you’re interested in tuning and making modifications to the computer program, then your options open up quite a bit. There are some members on this forum who have done very well with making improvements to the base computer programs and getting themselves up to close to, if not exceeding, 20 mpin fuel economy.

Yes there is a little more wiggle room in the budget department, a whole host of options open up to you.

As far as general maintenance parts go, in the suspension and driveline department, Moog is one of your better options for reliability.

RayBestos brake hardware is good but there are also some other very good products out there today.

what are the more noticeable improvements in breaking effectiveness is to upgrade to the master cylinder from a 2002 Tahoe. You will need to purchase a threaded adapter for the front reservoir, but this is one of your better improvements.

This thread talks about what you’ll need.

Finally, we’ll need pictures!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do have the 5.7 liter with the l60e transmission. Will have pictures soon. I'm interested in possibly swapping the heads with a newer version of the 5.7 although I'm not sure whatever best bang for your buck there too I have heard you need to do heads and intake manifold to complete the swap.

I'm very interested in any infor for better gas mileage

Also I'm buying oil soon too so I was gonna go with full synthetic valvoline 5w 30 and the dex merc transmission

Also what does anyone thing about and ignition coil upgrade

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
As far as heads go, I’m thinking that you were hearing and reading about a Vortec head upgrade. This is a very good option, but yes, you will need to do some form of intake manifold change in order to integrate this into your present engine configuration. You will be spending about $1000 or so on the top end of the motor to make that work. A throttlebody intake that fits a Vortec engine is right at about $500. You may spend from four to $600 on heads as well.

The reason for this expense is due to the change in engine technology. Throttlebody intake has 12 bolts and the angle of the bolts into the head is much different than it is for the Vortec. The Vortec manifold only has eight bolts.

Reliable fuel flow is vital to make any kind of improvement work effectively and reliably. These trucks run on about 10 psi. One of the most common problems is a decrease in fuel pressure and up to and including complete pump failure.

resist the temptation to go with the budget fuel pump option. You get what you pay for and changing pumps is a pain in the backside. Either you drop the tank or you remove the bed. Delco, Bosch, and Delphi are very good brands but even they can be problematic and have premature failures. For long-term reliability, I recommend skipping a generation and jumping into the Vortec fuel pumps for a 96 through 98 pick up. They bolt right in and much provide better flow. Purchasing one for a 1997 5.7 L Vortec will be a very good option.

More important than anything else, though, is your membership here on this forum. Always ask questions before spending any money. Over the life of your truck, testing and verification of any events that affect performance is so vitally important. These engines are not very complicated, but always remember to resist the temptation to play parts roulette.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Also what does anyone thing about and ignition coil upgrade
IMHO if your coil is working fine, don't waste your money. Just stick with good quality brands like AC Delco or DUI (Davis Unified Ignition). I had a Pertronix "Flame Thrower" coil and a Spectra Premium ICM (Ignition Control Module) go out in less than 2000 miles, cap and rotor not too long after. Now I have an Accel coil (just for sh*ts and giggles) and AC Delco ICM, cap and rotor, no issues.

BTW - Welcome!

·
Registered
642 Posts
Also, for about the same price ($1,099/pair) as a Vortec head conversion. You can get these heads - pretty much a direct bolt on and they flow better than Vortec. With the smaller chamber you'll get a little more combustion ratio. EGR valve goes in the same place too. When I bought these heads a couple years ago, they were $899/pair plus I got $100 worth of "Summit Bucks" off future purchases so, $800 was a no-brainer, LOL.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Two items were not mentioned. Change the headers and the exhaust may not fit stock. You’ll need to put that on the list.
You mentioned towing but didn’t state the mileage on the truck. How heavy of a tow are you planning? You have a good transmission but if it is real old on mileage towing might shorten its life. I’m not sure of the tranny cooler on this truck but if you are going to some serious towing you might want to look at upgrading the cooler.
Have fun my friend.

Reactions: RayVoy
1 - 10 of 10 Posts