GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought this truck and have been trying to find good information about it from a mechanical perspective. This post may be too much information but I like to find people who don't mind helping someone else out. I plan on keeping it a long time.

This is my first Silverado with the AFM and after reading about the lifter and excessive oil burning problem I want to be on top of this. It has 95K miles on it and seems to run fine.

They're are no OBD codes. This was ed from a dealer and the CarFax says they changed oil, plugs, etc.

Regarding the AFM:
I ordered the AFM disabler on Amazon and should be receiving that soon. From what I read the battery needs to be disconnected before I put the device in the OBD port.?

I thought I heard a tapping noise when I first started it up at the dealer lot. I don't know how long since it had been started so it could have been it was below freezing and not an indication of something wrong. I will keep my ear tuned for the noise but haven't heard it again. This engine sounds nothing like the Vortec 5.3L engine that's for sure.

The transmission shifts into 4x4 and it's hard to tell it shifted that smoothly. When I was buying it I pressed the dealership to put it on a lift and let me look under it. I had the mechanic get in and run in it 4x4 and watched and listened. Seems ok. It's a Pennsylvania truck and needs some of the Woolwax undercoating which I will be having done next week. It's got some surface rust but if I start having that undercoating down once a year or two I should be ok. It appears the person who had it either lived on a dirt road or worked construction where he was in the dirt a lot.

So regarding the AFM, oil burning issues, lifter collapse problems, what is the history of the 2014 5.3L regarding these problems? What KEY pieces of info should I know about?
I don't like the V4 on when i'm driving 35mph and doesn't feel smooth on some road. PA roads aren't the best.

·
Registered
14,775 Posts
You don't have AFM, your engine has DFM (dynamic fuel management).
DFM appears to be a lot more reliable the AFM and does not have the oil consumption issue.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts