GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Two options; Volant or K&N. People say that K&N is bad because the filters are oiled and can (supposedly) ruin the air flow sensor. Volant is a dry filter, thus superior. Volant is more expensive though, and the performance gains are not yet posted. I personally am getting the K&N because I have had good luck with them in the past. Keep in mind that there all not "true" cold air intakes, because the engine gives off heat, and that heated air under the hood is sucked down these air intakes. Either way, the air gets heated up anyhow on its way to the engine so I don't worry about it. Plastic tubing is recommended for performance, polished metal is for looks and louder sound.

This is what I have personally learned about CAI's. Either brand you buy will give you better gas milage, but the performance gain for my Silverado was approx. 8HP with the K&N CAI for $220 shipped online. Its for you to decide, the filters last forever, so in the end the high cost is worth it.

·
Banned
372 Posts
I bought a K&N CAI and it got dirtied up a bit...so much so that it was choking out my suburban. I bought an Auto Zone special and its working just fine now.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Hey you got a couple more options if you like. For instance S&B. There alot more expensive but it is a true CAI where as K&N is not. I'm still going K&N because of price and i've had luck with them in the past. I've heard the S&B is the best from people who've tried several different units but you do pay for it. I think around 400 bucks, and for the extra couple ponnies not for me.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I probably wouldn't suggest purchasing an intake just for the mileage. May improve, may get worse, could stay the same. Primarily depending on how you drive and various other factors.

As for filters, in my experience, K&N works just fine. Myself and several friends/family have had them in many vehicles over the years with no issues. However, it is very important that you follow instructions correctly when it comes to cleaning and oiling the filter. Most "issues" that I've seen are due to over oiling or simply not cleaning them at all. Over oiling will get the cause the MAF sensor to get dirty and can cause unwanted problems. But even that can normally be resolved with the proper MAF cleaning solution.

With that said, if you go for a full intake system, try to find one that is fully enclosed, except for where it pulls air from the fender. That should also have a seal of some sort as well. You want to avoid the ones that are setup to pull in hot air from the engine bay.

·
Registered
380 Posts
For about $230 total, is a CAI worth it? Worth it as in, saves you money in the end, provides enough ponies to go faster off the line. Or should it be invested in the interior of the car (audio, video, ect.)?

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
You bet it does! The stock intake is restictive enough so this just helps it breathe that much better. Paired up with a performance exaust will even enhance the end result. Of course then you can go with a custom tune, TB spacer, ignition, lifters, supercharger etc., etc.:money:

The K&N FIPK is the first and only engine mod I installed on my Wife's 2001 Suburban w/5.3 . Tthe day she drove it home new, we noticed a slight hesitation in throttle response even backing out of the driveway. That all went away with the K&N and what a difference in performance it made!

As far a mileage goes, who are we trying to kid here? We want to bolt on a few aftermarket parts and have it run like a raped ape!

·
Registered
9 Posts
2 Positive Results

I have had good luck with the installations of the K&N Fuel Performance Injection Kits (FPIK) on two Chevy Trucks ~
  1. 1998 Chevy K1500 Z71 5.7 liter
  2. 2006 Chevy K2500 HD 6.0 liter
I expereinced horse power, fuel economy and throttle response gains.
It's easier to see the fuel economy gains using the mileage computer on the 06, rather than having to track and caluclate it from each tank of gas run though the '98 -- but both vehichle's performance benefited from the upgrade.

The K&N kits are easy to install and the flushing and re-oiling is much less frequent than replacing the factory air box filter.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I have found that you cant go wrong with K&N. I have one on my truck and it is completely worth it... Not only did i get better gas mileage and more power, My truck ran so much better with it on there. It was amazing the difference. Just clean it and re-oil it every 10 to 15 thousand miles and it will last forever

·
Registered
9 Posts
tb spacer is worthless but a good intake is deff worth your time the best system ive seen is the s&b it fits awsome sounds good its one of if not the bestflowing system avail.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have a volant air intake in I cant say how much I love it! I dont know the actual HP gain from the minor upgrade; however, it feels like my truck has woken out of a coma. Seriously, when I stepped on the gas I could actuallly feel the difference. My gas milage went up about 1.5 MPG but now that it's faster I seem to be hauling a little bit more @$$ and wasting gas. Plus it adds a little bit of a meaner sound, which is fun to hear when you are mashing the gas.

GO VOLANT plus it looks cool as hell. I'll take a pic of mine later and send it to you.

http://www.volant.com/

I havent read this site but you could probably read about how they work (from a bias view obviously since it's thier site) and why it might be better.

P.S. Did I say that I loved mine yet?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a volant air intake in I cant say how much I love it! I dont know the actual HP gain from the minor upgrade; however, it feels like my truck has woken out of a coma. Seriously, when I stepped on the gas I could actuallly feel the difference. My gas milage went up about 1.5 MPG but now that it's faster I seem to be hauling a little bit more @$$ and wasting gas. Plus it adds a little bit of a meaner sound, which is fun to hear when you are mashing the gas.

GO VOLANT plus it looks cool as hell. I'll take a pic of mine later and send it to you.

http://www.volant.com/

I havent read this site but you could probably read about how they work (from a bias view obviously since it's thier site) and why it might be better.

P.S. Did I say that I loved mine yet?
You bought the kit right ? Did you also have to pick up a PERFORMANCE MASS AIRFLOW SENSOR with it ? I'm looking at one for my 99 Tahoe. They want $300 for the kit, and another $300 + for the sensor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I also have a Volant CAI with a airaid throttle body space. I was impressed with the throttle response and the overall power increase that the two added together. I couldn't tell you if it made a fuel mileage difference yet because its alot more fun to put my foot on the floor now. A CAI will not void any kind of warranty. I actually seen one of the GM CAI today on a truck at our local Chevy dealership. I was a sharp looking piece. The air tube was chrome as well as the airbox lid. The only thing i didn't like about the GM CAI was it picks up air in the same position the factory air box does, unlike the volant were it has 3 different holes where air can come in the box. I would diffently buy a Volant CAI if i had it to do all over again.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
AEM brute force intake

the Aem brute force CAI is superior in my opinion to a k&n. it is a dry flow filter, and easy and quick to clean. very noticable throttle response and louder sound from exhaust.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've heard good things about both K&N and AEM brute force intakes. But as TrailFiend said the AEM is going to be easier to take care of as well as be a bit louder.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
alright well thanks for the advice i already installed it and raced my friend and ohh yea you can tell the difference if yal want you can see my race here [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDlzNjA18IU[/media]
im the one with the sticker on the back

·
Registered
279 Posts
ANyone know th difference between the K&N 57 series and the 63 series?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts