GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried this system? If so how difficult or not was it to install? Any noticeable gains? Was thinking of adding the K&N intake along with a Borla muffler-tip combo. ANy thoughts or experiences out there?

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
I have seen people move up to a K&N intake system, seems to get a bit more performance, etc. Not sure what it does to the gas mileage though.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I am buying a K&N intake next week, and will put it on as soon as it is shipped to me. I will let you know, However, instead of Borla I already have a JBA system on.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Ok, so I added the K&N intake and I already had the JBA exhaust system on my TB. I love it. First off, yes the sound is very loud. When the intake is not making noise the exhaust is. I do notice a little more ump when driving and going of the start. Gas, I havn't been able to see it yet. I just put the intake on on Monday. But I will say I do love it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The borla exhaust is about $1000 new, and the K&N intake is about $300. There are a JBA, Borlan, and Bassani exhaust systems for the TB 4.2L and about 5 different intakes. 3 K&N, 1 Airaid, 1 Volant, 1 Rock It dual, and a few others. Each have their benefits and disadvantages.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have the JBA exhaust system and mine costs 350.00 also, I put on the K&N air intake and if you go to www.truckperformance.com they are on sale for 200.00 or they were when I bought mine, and they also give you free shipping. I bought my JBA through them too.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Honestly, I do not know. I made good friends with the service department and so everything goes through still. The drop kit, I know voids part of it. If you bring it in for a suspension issue they won't fix it. They told me if I bring in the Tb for exhaust or intake issues then maybe they wont fix it, but with mine let let everything go through.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just installed the intake and I love it. Its so loud that I'm now NOT considering an exhaust. The thought of adding one of the quieter flowmasters as a replacement muffler crosses my mind here or there.
I feel plenty of punch in the low range whcih was a problem before. I reccomend it to anyone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
HP & MPG Gains

I definitely fell more punch on the low end and smoothness at cruising speeds (hwy). I havent done the math myself, but the computer on the truck says I've picked up .50 mpg since I installed the intake. Simply put if I have a 20 gallon tank and I'm getting .50 mpg more, that means I'm getting 10 more miles out of the tank. I think that's excellent.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i got the k&n system for 260. i got the 77model in gray, i have not notice much power out of it at all. i have notice the noise out of the engine sounds like i am going alot faster then what am really going. i put it on my self its easy the only trooble i had was there is a hose you need to hook up from the air system to the air fuel regulator but on the 05 envoy i can not find it, so i called k&n they said just to plug the hose. has anyone run to this problem with the k&n system.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i have installed just a filter but not had a chance to check mileage yet, what kind of note does the jba exhaust give you? is it annoying at high speeds or is it a calming hum? and how much do you hear with the windows up

·
Registered
18 Posts
its loud! some people like that. its more loud as you step on the gas but you will notice it, big time. i belive they have a filter thats more silent then the ones they have been selling. go to there web page. if you only changing the filter you wont notice the noise. its only wheb you take out the filtering kit and replace it with the k&n kit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have a k&n series 77 cai installed on an I-6. i am also planning on installing magnaflow mufflers. with the cai alone there is not much gain noted except that it is louder. unless you have your pcm tuned which i had mine done by westers garage, then you would see the real power of the I-6. difference is like night to day, firmer faster shifts, higher rpm limit, no more speed limiter, reduced torque management, quicker down shift responses, faster acceleration. i got mine done with the 87-91 octane tune.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts