GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! Have anyone read the article about Kenworth getting their engineers behind the wheel of the trucks they design.

They do it within the yearly "Drive and Sleep" program. So a Kenworth engineer gets a CDL and personally drives a truck for some time.

"Уngineers will drive out to the Gearjammer truck plaza near Yakima -- about three hours east of Kenworth’s headquarters in Kirkland, Washington. Once they arrive, engineers spend time at the truck stop and interact with drivers. They experience life on the road, talk with drivers at truck stops, and sleep in one of the bunks."

But I'm interested in other drivers' thoughts. Is it a good idea? Will it really help to improve the life of truckers?

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
My dad says yes, make whoever designed this **** deal with it and see how stupid it is in real life

·
Super Moderator
740 Posts
I am an engineer. I have spent time in the shop making parts, in assembly putting the stuff together and in the field using the finished product. It does make a difference in the final quality and usability of the product. Granted most engineers are not qualified as machinists, fabricators, welders, assemblers, or operators. But I am and it does make a difference in the product. I can understand all sides of the equation between cost to make and ease of use to find the best balance without getting either side to POed.

I wish more companies would require this of their engineers. Usually the bigger the company the less likely this becomes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts