GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as the title states I need to replace my knock sensors (88,000 on the 6.0). Started this last weekend when I was pretty loaded down in the back of the truck, but light comes on without a load as well. I found that the light is only turned on when I start from a stop and need to accelerate up a steep inclined highway on ramp (theres a couple I do frequently). Not WOT but having to push it to get up to freeway speed while climbing. Light is for P0332 rear bank sensor.

here are my questions.

Since they are underneath the intake manifold I know I will need a new gasket for that, but since I am there should I just replace both sensors (kinda thinking thats the best option)?

second, since I need to pull the injectors should I replace the injector O-rings or just check them and replace if needed?

third, also on the injectors. since I will have the injectors out is there a way to see if they are clean or can I clean them out of the truck. I have done the injector cleaner stuff through the fuel lines but figure since they will be out is there a way to see how well they are spraying, need cleaning etc.?

Any other tips, tricks or things I should check while I am there. Steering, suspension, brakes are all familiar and have done lots of work on but not so much tearing into the engine. I've done engine work just not a lot, so I know I will be fine, just figured I would see if there was something extra I should check while I have the manifold off.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
I would go ahead and change both k/sensors since you'll have the intake off. I would also change the injector o-rings because even though they only have 88,000 miles on them the have age on them (about 7 years) and there most likely getting brittle. As far as cleaning them DON'T try to clean yourself with a wire brush or pick. Theres lots of places that you can take/send them to to have cleaned and balanced, Cody Motorsports in Ga. and TPIS in Mn. can do them, but I'm sure you can find a shop in Ca. to do them. One last thing about the installing the sensors, you will need a small tool (like a small screwdriver or needle nose) to disconnect the wire from the sensor. Also after you install the new sensor put a large bead of silicone around the holes in the intake valley cover. This works like a dam to help keep water from draining down onto the sensors.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would go ahead and change both k/sensors since you'll have the intake off. I would also change the injector o-rings because even though they only have 88,000 miles on them the have age on them (about 7 years) and there most likely getting brittle. As far as cleaning them DON'T try to clean yourself with a wire brush or pick. Theres lots of places that you can take/send them to to have cleaned and balanced, Cody Motorsports in Ga. and TPIS in Mn. can do them, but I'm sure you can find a shop in Ca. to do them. One last thing about the installing the sensors, you will need a small tool (like a small screwdriver or needle nose) to disconnect the wire from the sensor. Also after you install the new sensor put a large bead of silicone around the holes in the intake valley cover. This works like a dam to help keep water from draining down onto the sensors.
Thanks. I will look into who can do the cleaning down here. I will definately do the silicone as well.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have different engine (5.3L) but I replaced mine last year. I figured since I was ripping off the intake manifold I would just replace both sensors at the same time, which I did, but I also found where one had been previously replaced. I still changed both. I also went ahead and picked up the wire harness from the dealership and replaced that as well, I really only got since I wasn't sure if it was the sensor or the wire. But since I paid for it and had it on hand I also replaced that.

And like Silveradotrailblazer said, get some automotive RTV, I put a nice thick bead around the boots that cover the sensors. Good luck. I think all in all it took me about 3 hours. I took my time and worked carefully.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah wasnt a bad job. replaced both sensors. the one that went bad got water in it (it was all rusted up). I put the silicone around the boots that cover the hole. actually had to but a weight on the boot as it wanted to keep popping up while the RTV was drying. I didt get the injectors cleaned as I had a few other expenses come up. definately something i will do soon even though on visual inspection (I know doesnt tell if the spray is good and all) they actually looked really clean. I did replace the o-rings on the injectors. while i was at it cleaned out the intake, throttle body, MAF, Filter. All pretty clean as I do it semi regularly, but it was all torn apart so might as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts