GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a larger *longer* oil filter for the series III 5300?

For my Bonneville, instead of the prescribed PF47, most of us at the Bonneville Club use a PF52 equiv because of its longer size for increased flow, and more filter media. I tried a PF52 equiv on the truck, but found that the outlet was too small, so had to go back to the normal size.

I currently run a Purolator PureONE, which having one of the best filtration and highest media density, it also slightly inhibits oil flow in the stock size, or at least in a filter as small as this. When I run the 52 in my Bonneville, I see excellent oil pressure with it over the standard 47.

So, all bull**** aside, does anyone know of one?

·
Registered
279 Posts
I don't know if there will be enough room for a longer filter. You may have to see if some one makes a medium length filter.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright. I reserved the last few hours for just oil filter research and have learned LOADS. I now know that the CHOICE filter for the Vortec 5300 is the...

Cross reference of: Baldwin B30, Purolator PureONE PL20123 OR PL25288, Delco PF61,Mobil1 M1-206 or K&N HP-2006.

None of this is guaranteed, but those are all roughly the same size and should all fit fine.

FYI, for those that don't know...a larger oil filter gives you more filter media to therefore give you more flow and should enable longer drain intervals. Using super efficient filters with very low micron filtration capabilities are one of the best ways to keep your oil as clean as possible, but these filters also usually decrease flow, decreasing oil pressure. By using the larger version of the same filter, you bring yourself back up to normal spec while getting EXCELLENT filtration.

Such filters are the Purolator PureONE which has a 98% SAE Multi-Pass Efficiency and the Mobil1 Oil Filter which has a 99.2% rating on the same J1858 SAE test. These are two of the best filters you can buy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts