GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who still have the stupid "quick" disconnect (in quotes because it seems to break everytime I disconnect it, requiring full replacement) on their late '90's era GM engine, I thought I would share this. While replacing heater hoses on my '98, the plastic internals broke, necessitating replacement. But, as soon as I put any torque on the fitting, it twisted right off. Wrestled with it for a couple of days, until a buddy pointed me to this tool that Lisle makes (Amazon link, but I see several outlets that sell it. I bought mine from O'Reilly's) Amazon.com: Lisle 62200 Heater Hose Coupler Remover: Automotive Came out slick as a whistle after that.

Of course, once it breaks, you need to decide if you want to put the so-called quick disconnect back in or replace it with a regular pipe to hose fitting/assembly.

If you still have the quick disconnect, you will almost certainly break it off at some point, so keep this in mind for when it happens.

Reactions: Cowboytrukr

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I put in a short stub of 1/2” copper pipe and double hose clamps.

Reactions: MrShorty

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the same problem on my 94 4.3L and replaced the original with a brass nipple. After thinking about it I realised that you can't get much quicker than just breaking off. I guess that's why they call it a "quick disconnect". They don't say anything about a "quick reconnect".

1 - 3 of 3 Posts