GM Truck Club Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wasnt sure where to post this at, just a few weeks ago i noticed that the rear cargo carpet was wet. i checked the weatherstripping right away and it all looks good. the only thing i can maybe think of is the taillights section. i just bought this 96 suburban off my father in law kuz it was well kept and he had some apc taillights that he installed, i hated the look so i changed them back to the oem taillights, and anyways the gasket on the apc taillights were all messed up so i thought maybe that was the source of the water leak. but it still leaks :evil:
now i noticed that there is a rubber cover that covers the acces holes to get to the screws to unscrew the taillights, im thinking as water runs down the innerdoors, maybe some water is faiiling into those acces holes kuz none of the rubber covers are on there.
i was just wondering is anyone has had the same problem, or any ideals? thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
leaks

When I worked at the factory we had a water test where we would ride threw in the cars looking for leaks and i would suggest you do the same. find a car wash you can ride threw and sit back there and watch for yje leak. If you don't have one that you can ride threw get a helper to spray your truck down with the wand type washer.
When you find if it is a leak in the seals go from there.
Ity may also be a heater core leak if its not a seal leak.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i took out almost the complete rear inner panels, the rear seats, interior trimmin on both sides.the rear carpet was soaking wet, but it was more wet over by the rear heater/blower side. the other end by the spare tire was pretty dry. would the heater be messed up? i spoke to a mechanic at the gmc dealer and he told me that some of the suburbans that they worked on that had leaks just like mine, came from the tire well itself.

G

·
0 Posts
It's possible that you have a leak there. I would have a helper spray a garden hose up inside the wheel well, while you sit inside, and check for water intrusion. Otherwise it's likely to be the rear heater core.

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Yeah, we used to do that car wash test. I found a leaky window or two that way. Makes sense that it would be a good test for smaller leaks as well.

harm_dines, any progress on this leak?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Steve said:
Yeah, we used to do that car wash test. I found a leaky window or two that way. Makes sense that it would be a good test for smaller leaks as well.

no not yet unfortunately. i really havent had the time to get back in there, plus its been rainging like crazy out here in oregon! :cry: the "weatherman" sad it would be a cloudy but dry weekend, so i plan on getting in there again this weekend. is there anything i should know before attempting to remove the rear heater?
i was planning on removing the rear heater out, the carpet and everything from the way back, then having someone run water from under the truck to see what i find. wish me luck guys

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Oh that's right. Its the El Nino/La Nina effect! I decided to move 7 years ago after the last rainy period where it rained 100 days in like 110 over the winter!

You know, it's possible that the leak could be coming from a bad weld. How far inside the burban is it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had this twice

Sounds like the rear a/c unit drain is clogged...look in the right rear tire well and you'll see something that kind of looks like a big flat black nipple. Milk that sucker and you'll see a bunch of junk come out followed by a gallon or so of water. Like I said, I've had the wet carpet problem twice now (2002) and this was the problem both times.

·
Registered
1 Posts
RE: I

I am having the exact same problem. 1999 GMC Suburban. I thought it was heater core so I replaced it. Still leaks after a rain. Replaced rear weatherstripping around the doors and it still leaks. I taped a water hose to the roof of suburban and got in the rear cargo area to look for leaks but couldn't see any water leaking from the inside. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
harm_dzines said:
Steve said:

no not yet unfortunately. i really havent had the time to get back in there, plus its been rainging like crazy out here in oregon! :cry: the "weatherman" sad it would be a cloudy but dry weekend, so i plan on getting in there again this weekend. is there anything i should know before attempting to remove the rear heater?
i was planning on removing the rear heater out, the carpet and everything from the way back, then having someone run water from under the truck to see what i find. wish me luck guys
Assuming you are using antifreeze/coolant, the liquid in the carpet would look/smell like antifreeze. If it does, then I'd suspect the heater core, or lines. If it doesn't, I'd check that rear ac drain. (assuming you have rear air.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.