GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. I have 2000 Chevy c2500 RWD. Last year service engine soon light came on. Started running lean. Rough idle. Hard start. I changed the o2 sensors. All of them. Same thing. Changed fuel pump. Same thing. Replaced TPS. Same thing. Spark plugs and wires. No results. Ignition coil. Same. Distributor rotor and cap. Put stock exhaust back on. Checked all my components at air intake. Checked fuel system for leaks. Replaced fuel pressure regulator. Had in mechanic shop for a week, they change my multi port fuel injection assembly for up to date one. Got it home and the next light comes on again. Put diagnostics to it. Still running lean. Cleared codes. Drove and had it checked. Lean code. No light tho. Then next day I get light but no codes. It runs fairly well , but hesitant and rough idle all the time. I don't know what else to do. Can anyone give me some advice please

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Shorty, along with what Ray says, since you indicate a rough idle too have you performed a vacuum test? You could have leaking intake gaskets.
What codes were you showing?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Try cleaning the Mass Air Flow sensor
Sorry I forgot all about that. I've replaced that part as well. As well as air intake temperature sensor. As well as intake manifold gasket. And valve cover gaskets. Check valve at the brake booster I changed. Which brings me to the brake booster questions. I will post another thread on it as to not get any confusion as to what I'm trying to find out. Thank you for the input as well I appreciate it

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shorty, along with what Ray says, since you indicate a rough idle too have you performed a vacuum test? You could have leaking intake gaskets.
What codes were you showing?
I did. And I've got I believe my pressure is good on vacuum. I guess I need to check. Mechanic assured me that all that was taken care of but I guess that don't mean anything cause they lie and hustle you anyways. But I figure I wouldn't have cruise control if I didn't have good vacuum.

·
Registered
‘01 Silverado 2500HD 8.1/Allison 5sp xcab long bed
3,566 Posts
The cruise control system in a 2000 truck is not driven by vacuum. It is completely electronic.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I guess that helps. Thank you. I didn't even think about that either. I've done so much to it that I should know every damn thing about it but considering I've worked on about 20 vehicles in the last 4 or 5 years I can't keep track. What is your thoughts Cowboytrukr. Any advice helps.

·
Registered
‘01 Silverado 2500HD 8.1/Allison 5sp xcab long bed
3,566 Posts
I’m afraid I wouldn’t have suggested much more than Ray and Silverado did. I wish I had a magic wand.

Reactions: RayVoy

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
is this the same person I just replied to in another thread? sounds like same truck and same scenario.

if you have a vacume brake booster it could be leaking.....

heres a youtube video.

Al

Reactions: shortys350small

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
yes it is... 1 thread is good maybe a reference to the other since your onto the brake booster now....

Al

Reactions: RayVoy

·
Registered
77 Posts
A vacuum leak will report a lean condition. What engine are you running? Are both banks lean? Fuel trim? What does your MAF read at idle? What does your MAP read at idle? Can you post some Freeze Frame data?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yes it is... 1 thread is good maybe a reference to the other since your onto the brake booster now....

Al
Thanks man. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A vacuum leak will report a lean condition. What engine are you running? Are both banks lean? Fuel trim? What does your MAF read at idle? What does your MAP read at idle? Can you post some Freeze Frame data?
If I had the data o could tell you but I don't. I had a friend put it on a GM diagnostics right after I got it back from mechanic to check it and it was running lean but had no service engine soon light. 2000 Chevy c2500 4dr rwd 5.7liter V8 small block 350 throttle body and multiport fuel injection. (Distributor and a single ignition coil) which I thought was odd. Maybe it's not tho. Anyways. I would like to have the freeze frame data but haven't had the chance to actually check. But that does bring the question of why have I not done that yet. Because I know that it's would probably give me an answer. I just don't have the money to take it anywhere and no obd2 on hand

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
I understand that. I have a decent cheap innova that cost me $150 about 5 years ago. I recently bought l a $10 obd2 bluetooth dongle off of amazon. it had great reviews and no one said it didnt work. it actually performed flawlessly. so there are a bunch of apps for these and some cost money some don't. I have dash command and car scanner. I tried a few more but deleted them all. I dont use these much because I have the other scanner but there are a lot of stuff these apps can do and they are fully customizable. I also have them on a tablet that's guna be my Sierra's media center basically with custome gauges. anyways theres a couple ways you can get the info without spending too much but gain so much diagnostic abilities.

cheers.

Al

Screenshot_20210610-232702.jpg
Screenshot_20210610-232646.jpg

·
Registered
77 Posts
If I had the data o could tell you but I don't. I had a friend put it on a GM diagnostics right after I got it back from mechanic to check it and it was running lean but had no service engine soon light. 2000 Chevy c2500 4dr rwd 5.7liter V8 small block 350 throttle body and multiport fuel injection. (Distributor and a single ignition coil) which I thought was odd. Maybe it's not tho. Anyways. I would like to have the freeze frame data but haven't had the chance to actually check. But that does bring the question of why have I not done that yet. Because I know that it's would probably give me an answer. I just don't have the money to take it anywhere and no obd2 on hand
Just a thought here. You might try stopping by an Auto Zone. They are normally customer friendly about doing scans for folks. Maybe talk them out of a freeze frame screen shot. Might be worth a try.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts