GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
did some looking at leveling kits for my sierra, local off road shop quoted me 480 installed, but i neglected to ask what brand, my question is, how hard would it be to do myself or with some help?

Alex

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Depends, how mechanically inclined are you and do you own/ have access to the tools necessary to the job?

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
As TELORVEHC said, depends on your skill. If you have the tools, mainly a torson key compresser tool you can do it. Need a jack, jacks stands and a 18mm socket. Takes about an hour from start to finish. Takes more time getting the tools out and jacking up the truck.

---------- Post added at 07:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 PM ----------

One last thing. Make sure you measure the truck BEFORE you start so you have a referrance point. I like to measure from the wheel center hub to the fender lip. this way if the grounds not level it doesn't affect the measurement.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have some tools, and i can go buy a 18 mm socket easy enough, and a bud has a jack and stands, the torsion key compressor i dotn have, would an auto parts shop have such a thing so i could borrow it? just as soon not pay for the install.

Alex

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Some parts stores will loan or rent the tool. Even if you buy a tool and the keys its still cheaper than $480.00. Did the $480.00 include a realignment??

---------- Post added at 07:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 PM ----------

ReadyLift sells a torson bar tool for $100.00.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
not sure, im gonna call on monday and find out some more.

thanks all.

Alex

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Lets say a leveling kit is around $100.00, tool $100.00, average cost for alignment $65.00. Do it yourself $0.00. You saved over $200.00

·
Registered
593 Posts
It's quite simple to do. I did mine on my 03 by myself in the driveway. Having never done it before, it took me a couple of hours. I also borrowed the torsion bar tool from Auto Zone. Let me ask you though, are you already cranked? If not, crank your tbars and see if you can get a couple of inches out them. If you can, don't waste your money or your time on leveling keys.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Don't you still need a tbar tool to take the stress off of the bolt in order to turn it up?

·
Registered
593 Posts
No. You don't need a torsion bar unloader to simply crank your existing tbars. I put Ford keys on my 03 before I knew better, and the truck rode like a tank. I pulled those keys out, went back to the stockers and cranked. In most cases, leveling keys are a waste of time and money.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wondering how exactly i would do this, might be a weekend project. any tips or hints would be appreciated. I have a hayes and I can always google fu so....

Alex

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
some quick google fu tells me that while cranking the tbars works, front end issues usually result. so i think im gonna hold off for the time being and leave it be.

Alex

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Installing a leveling kit will not cause any issues on the front suspension. Cranking the torsion bars will level the truck out as well, but it will make your truck ride like crap.

·
Registered
593 Posts
To be clear, a leveling kit and or cranking of the Tbars will most definately cause premature front end wear. That is an unescapable truth, however when kept to a minimum it's nothing serious. But I disagree that cranking the torsion bars will cause a truck to ride like crap, at least not anymore than "leveling" keys. The problem comes with over cranking. All re-indexed leveling keys do, is allow you to crank your torsion bars more than the factory keys would allow. Thats it. They allow you to overcrank your tbars in most cases. So cranking the factory keys is the way to go, unless your factory keys dont allow for more adjustment, which can sometimes be the case. The bottom line is don't go any higher than about 2" over stock.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I don't personally know because I don't have tbars but I have been told that the ride suffers because of the increased load on the bars. It sounds to me that some don't mind because it is a truck while others do mind because the ride of trucks has come a long way over the years. If I am off base please let me know. I have a co worker that is interested in cranking his bars to level his truck and I want him to be well informed instead of my opinion because like I said I don't have tbars on my truck.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
aloxdaddy99, have your friend take a measurement from the wheel hub to the fender on both sides and make a note of these measuement before he cranks the bars. This way if he doesn't like the ride he can go back to his original specs. Every truck is differant so some don't ride harsh after adjusting and other will rattle your teeth. Ownly one way to find out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts