GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guy this will be my first lifted truck and i have a few questions. im thinging about buying a 2011 silverado with the 5.3. im getting it from the dealership with a 6 inch lift already on it and my question is about the gearing. it has the 3.42 gears in it and i wanna make sure those will work before i buy it iv been told to stay away from the 3.42 with the lift but need a second opinion. and what about the 3.73 gears i know those will be better but the only way to get them is with the bigger engine which means more money. so will the 3.42 gears be ok? thanks for all the help

· Registered
1,006 Posts
aldepends on what size tires you are running and with a 6 speed it should be fine if your not hammering down on it all the time. i got 3.73 on my 08 with an 8" lift its ok for my 305 but when i get my new tires ill be upgrading to a 4.56. if you find down the road the truck dont have enought power i would look into some aftermarket 4.10 gears since your 6 spped is so close now 4.56 imo would be over kill in the city.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I plan on going with 4.56 within the first year. And this isn't my everyday driver. More of a toy and hunting ride

---------- Post added at 12:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 PM ----------

Btw it has a pro comp lift. Is that a descent brand

· Registered
1,006 Posts
Since its not ur everyday vechial then 4.56 are good and procomp is an ok lift

· Registered
599 Posts
I don't care for Procomp. The diff drop is inadequate and I've read about several quality issues on other forums. 4.56 gears are way too steep with the 6 spd. Don't go over 4.10. Your first gear with the 3.42's is basically the same as a 4.56 with the 4 spd.

· Registered
7,267 Posts
I would buy a new truck and have it lifted yourself, you'll save alot of money and get a better kit. I'd go with either a BDS, Rancho or Skyjacker kit, all good quality and well engineered kits.

· Registered
1,006 Posts
yes and no sine its alltercation to the stock suspension part ont he truck they will not cover something under warranty if it breaks due to having the lift on the truck. But saying that i had my lift on for over a year and not a hitch with nothing all my ball joints and tied rods were replaced by my warranty.

· Registered
1,006 Posts
before i ran my 8" fabtech lift i had the old 3" lift from rough country which destroyed my balljoints tie rods so after my lift was installed by my buddy back in newbruswick i never brought it to gm until after my 3 month oil change and to get my tires rotated and they came across all the problems form my old lift so i had it replaced since it was under warranty. now this fabtech lift is the best thing i installe dmy truck got better drive angles then my friends 2009 silverado

· Registered
7,267 Posts
You need to ask the dealer about the warranty. Some companies that lift trucks for dealers include a warranty of there own to cover what the factory won't. Make sure you check and clarify the warranty. Some of the lift companies warranties have a deductable.

· Registered
1,006 Posts
im over on gmfullsize.com

· Registered
1,006 Posts
i never been over on that site i might have to check it out myself

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.