GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 K1500 and I want to lift it. Not sure how much, I just want it lifted. Right now I have the torsion bars cranked, and I'll tell you what, she bucks like a bronco on a relatively smooth road. I just want it to be a smooth ride, but I also want it to be level. It'd be nice to get a lift too. My friend has a 95 Burban with a 6 inch suspension lift and we can hit bumps all day long and not feel a thing. I was looking around and I can get a 6 incher from Rough Country for 995.95 without shipping. Any ideas? I do want a suspension life, not a body lift. I need to get bigger tires too, so I don't want to go big, because I need tires. The most I'd probably spend is 1,000, and that's top of the line, no going over. Thanks for your help, Ryan

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
I'd stay away from the RoughCountry kit, the've had to many quality and enginnering issues over the past years. Theres a reason the have cheap prices. The Rancho kit is the best kit for you years/body style truck. I have it on my '96 'Burb (same basic kit as yours) and it works and fit great, NO issues like creaking caused by cheap design. The kit has a 1-piece welded lower sub-frame and upper control arm brackets that are boxed-in and gussted. Save your money and get the Rancho. Most people that don't complain about there RoughCountry kits never had a Rancho kit so they don't know the differance. Sorry my intent is not to put down people with RoughCountry kits, but to tell our shops past experiance with RoughCountry.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd stay away from the RoughCountry kit, the've had to many quality and enginnering issues over the past years. Theres a reason the have cheap prices. The Rancho kit is the best kit for you years/body style truck. I have it on my '96 'Burb (same basic kit as yours) and it works and fit great, NO issues like creaking caused by cheap design. The kit has a 1-piece welded lower sub-frame and upper control arm brackets that are boxed-in and gussted. Save your money and get the Rancho. Most people that don't complain about there RoughCountry kits never had a Rancho kit so they don't know the differance. Sorry my intent is not to put down people with RoughCountry kits, but to tell our shops past experiance with RoughCountry.
Hey man, thanks for the reply!
I've also heard the RoughCountry is a lower quality product, my neighbors all had lifted trucks and most had RoughCountry's, but I was too young to remember the quality of them. I will definitely check out Rancho! I just don't want to mess up my truck, it's one of the cleanest of my years that I've seen in MI, because most are all messed up from the salt from the salt trucks. I wanted to plow with my truck, but I say no, I have a big old tractor that does the job fine :) Also, any ideas on tires? I was thinking either 35's or 37's, maybe Nitto's or BF Goodrich AT's, or some Discoverers.
Thanks again,
Ryan

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
35's are the biggest tire you can run with the 6" lift. You don't want to go over 35's with a 1/2 ton truck. The front and rear axles don't like tires bigger than 35's. They wear and break parts. Every 4x4 magazine also says not to run anything bigger than a 35 on a 1/2 ton truck.

---------- Post added at 10:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 AM ----------

I run BFG A/T's, they last longer than the Nitto's. Can't say about the Discovers.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
35's are the biggest tire you can run with the 6" lift. You don't want to go over 35's with a 1/2 ton truck. The front and rear axles don't like tires bigger than 35's. They wear and break parts. Every 4x4 magazine also says not to run anything bigger than a 35 on a 1/2 ton truck.

---------- Post added at 10:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 AM ----------

I run BFG A/T's, they last longer than the Nitto's. Can't say about the Discovers.
My friend was telling me to run A/T's. And I think mine is a 1/4 ton, it's only 6 lug. Thanks again for your help! I'm a newbie at lifting, and I love lifted trucks, I just can't go around much longer with cranked torsions

Oh and by the way, your truck is awesome!

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Cranked torson bars will loosen your tooth fillings!!:lol:It also speeds up balljoint wear. Good luck with your truck.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cranked torson bars will loosen your tooth fillings!!:lol:It also speeds up balljoint wear. Good luck with your truck.
I tell you what, with 60 percent of the roads around here being dirt roads or poorly maintained, I'm surprised I still have any teeth! Thanks again!
Ryan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts