GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to forum but not new to Chevy Trucks. Have driven these trucks for over 25 years and haven't had any engine issues until now. My 06 Z71 was bought new and currently has 120,000 miles on it and always use Mobil 1 synthetic. The wife has been driving the truck to work for about the last two years and recently I noticed a ticking sound between 2000 and 2500 rpm. Sounds like a lifter but it quiets down above 2500 rpm and below 1500 rpm. I have tried the seafoam in the tank as someone suggested carbon buildup, did not work. Ran seafoam in crankcase as someone suggested a dirty lifter, did not work. Ran 93 octane as suggested and no changes. My diagnosis is a bad lifter/ camshaft or both but wanted to reach out and see if anyone knows of any other causes of this or am I on the right track?

And if I need to replace the cam/ lifters are there any suggestions other than stock that will make a bit more power without getting too radical??? My thoughts are if I have to tear down the engine why not make it worthwhile!!! Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.:great:

Also, there are no broken exhaust bolts or exhaust leaks......

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
I would use marvel mystery oil [MMO] in the crankcase. only use 6 OZ. if this is a dirty lifter the engine will quiet down after a few hundred miles.

I do not use seafoam or would recommend this in the crankcase or doing the vacuum ingestion method.

the noise may be from coolant in the oil or a bad/weak valve spring also. If the MMO does not work this may be engine damage.

operating with the lifter type noise is not recommended. the lifter noise is constant hot or cold ? this one lifter or many lifters ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No water in the crankcase and I actually tried marvel mysteryoil too. The noise is hot or cold but a little more noticable when warm. The weird thing is there is no noise at idle.

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
If it sounds like one lifter , it most likely is a valve spring. this is not all that un common.

with synthetic oil I doubt the cam is worn at this mileage.

take valve cover off on side of the issue and locate the sound source.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
If you do a cam swap look at cranes direct fit cams for the 5.3, they have two. The one makes 48hp and doesnt reqiure any other changes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I purchased a 2006 1500 Silverado, I tried to but it n 2006 but it would have cost me $49,000. $64,000 after financing. In 2008 I found it for $19000. Only had 2400 miles on it. We noticed a knock in about 1000 miles later and took it back to the dealership. They told us it was common for A CHEVY. This is my what 40th chevy....When we hit 75500 miles, 500 miles above warranty the lifters started knocking so bad it sounded like a helicopter driving. We replaced the cam and lifters with better quality ones from a business that knew of the issues. However if you go aftermarket the computer will not reset and start throwing codes of misfire on 3. then run rough and not have the kick down power it used to. We dealt with it, let the lifters knock. I used seafoam in the gas one time and it really worked, but I should have used it in the oil. I have to wait for more money since the lifter and cam job cost me more money than I can waste. Today at 100014 miles I believe my rod was just thrown. Thanks Chevy for the first time you placed a piss of **** truck on the market..,..... One that has the body style people love. Now I have to come up with another grand to buy a motor.... There is a reason they only made the 2006 1500 for 1 year.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Mostly because 2006 was only one year, just like every other year. Spammer much?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Theres no doubt about it....from 99 - 2013....there are bad lifters going in the 5.3 from tbe factory. I had a 2005 that I bought new, sold with 85,000 miles and had no problems with the lifters. Bought a used 2006 with 35,000 miles...lifter started ticking at 53,000 and just got liuder and louder, no matter what I tried and I tried every stupid additive you can pour in it. SOLD IT! Found Scream, look in my garage...2007.5 with 32,000 miles...it came with a 30 day drivetrain warranty...THANK GOD. The first morning I had it home, I remote started it and heard the same lifter tick as the 2006. JUST AS LOUD! OK so now Im super pissed and screaming I want to return it. Too bad I live 80 miles from the dealership I bought it at because by the end of my trip to drop it off, I had gone over their 150 mile return policy. You wanna talk about pissed? You have no idea! So here's the silver lining to this whole affair. ...
I took it to my local dealership and the service manager told me this....there are 5.3 motor with ticking lifters with under 1000 miles on them. There is a prepackaged rebuild KIT put together by GM for this problem. When one comes in ticking, they replace ALL the lifters and because the heads have to come off to change them, you're pretty much getting a top end rebuild with the KIT lifters and a new cam. DEALER PRICE $3800 MY COST $0
I've got 51000 miles now and the 10000 mile warranty on the job is over, but I'm confident that lifter noise wont be backback for another 100000...at least. It sucks how a part that probably costs GM $2 each to buy in bulk....is destroying the reputation of an otherwise bullet proof engine that can take a ton of abuse and is otherwise an extremely well engineered and reliable engine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently purchased a 2006 Chevy Avalanche, super clean, but with over 200,000 miles. So, I quickly noticed a tick noise and idle was really rough. So, changed the oil, ran STP oil, 2 bottles of STP oil treatment, filled gas tank, ran a treatment thru the gas for knocking, ticks, and what have you. Then, I googled a reset ECU and seen where you unhook negative battery cable, let sit for 20 minutes, reattached, did the videos next few steps and the ticks gone, the idle is steady, and it drives so much smoother. I'm in love with my truck. I'm so glad it wasn't anything major and couldn't enjoy my truck for the rest of the summer!

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 460k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
163 Posts
My GM reman 5.3L from 2014 could use some of this love...been clattering since about a month after installed when under load. I'll tackle that after I get it back on the road.

·
Registered
13,647 Posts
Just my 2 cents Jacob; but under load shouldn't impact lifters.
If you hear a noise under load its almost always spark knock.
Do you have a knock senso that isn't working?

Next time you get gas try a tank of high test, see if the noise goes away.

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 460k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
163 Posts
Just my 2 cents Jacob; but under load shouldn't impact lifters.
If you hear a noise under load its almost always spark knock.
Do you have a knock senso that isn't working?

Next time you get gas try a tank of high test, see if the noise goes away.
You're probably right. I do have a code for the rear knock sensor and I'm probably a little off on my "appearance" timeline. Since my truck has been down 2 weeks and we've survived, guess I'll do the sensor next.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts