GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey yall, Just bought my 2001 GMC Sierra SLE Extended cab, and its got allittle bit of a lifter knock. Sounds like just one lifter though and its a very small knock and goes away and comes back and ive allready had it diagnosed, question is A. Is it detremental to get it fixed right NOW B, Are the lifters adjustable? I know they are the roller lifters but also think i could shimmy it back to where it needs to be? C. If in deed it needs to be replaced asap, im assuming AC DELCO replacement lifters would be fine, Or is there a better one for the same price or less?

2001 GMC Sierra, 107k

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Welcome to the club. What motor do you have? Do you here the knock at start-up when cold or is it knocking all the time. The factory roller lifters are very good lifters. Alot of the aftermarket performance engine builders use the stock GM lifters. I don't know if you know this but in order to change the lifters on the LS type engines, 4.8,5.3,6.0's you need to remove the heads. There not like the old small block engines.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My Bad: I have the 4.8L Vortec. Knocks at start up but once it gets primed it goes away then comes back after acouple minutues of it idleing. And yeah i figured they would have to be removed, so if i do end up doing it i need to set aside some time lol

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
When you change the lifters make sure you buy new lifter retainers. There a composite material and after 40,000-50,000 miles there brittel and can break when removing the lifters. I would also change the push rods, the GM push rods are kinda soft.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok help me on my current list of things to buy:
16 AC DELCO Lifters
? Lifter Retainers, How many and what Brand?
Fel Pro Intake Gasket Kit
? Push Rods, What brand is good?

Anything else i should replace while im in there thats not expsensive? Rocker Arms? ETC
Budget will be around $600
Is there one place, with good prices to get all this stuff from? Got quoted i believe 350 for just the lifters and gaskets. THANKS!!

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Try GMPartsClub.com or 1-877-347-6220, there a sponsor on this site. Mention this site, I think they give member discounts, I think. I've never seen aftermarket retainers so it looks like a GM part. CompCams for push rods. Rocker Arms should be reuseable. You'll need head, intake, exhaust and valve cover gaskets. Oh yea, sorry but the head bolts are a one-time use bolt, you need new head bolts. They are torque to yeild bolts. Most repair manuals can explain and show how to torque the head bolts.

---------- Post added at 07:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 PM ----------

You will need what is called a "bolt-stretch angle finder". This is used to properly torque the heads. SnapOn tools part # is TA-360. You may be able to find a differant brand or even borrow one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:great:I feel im going to have this truck for a long, long time lol

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Good luck!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok so im trying to find these parts for reference. I cant find Lifter Retainers, head bolts or Comp Cam push rods on their site. Would anyone mind helping me put, im trying to go the cheapest route as of right now without sacrificing reliability

1 - 9 of 9 Posts