GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 2000 yukon XL (supercharged 6.0) for just over 5 months now and I've noticed I've got a lifter tick going on. The engine has 130k miles. The tick sometimes gets louder and sometimes gets softer at idle but its always there. I don't think it gets louder when I accelerate but I'm not 100 percent sure. I recently took it to my mechanic and he told me that he would have to take the heads off and replace the lifter. He told me this job could easily be over $3,000. Im going off to college soon and cant afford that so I told him I would sleep on it. After doing more research I've seen some guys using sea foam and other engine cleaning products but having limited success. (I also don't want to try an engine flush as I've heard some pretty bad things about them.) Ive seen a lot of guys replacing the O ring gasket on the oil pickup and that has made me think about how sometimes (only at idle) the oil pressure fluctuates and twitches pretty often. Could this be the problem I'm having? Could replacing that gasket make the lifter tick go away? The only reason I think this couldn't be the case is, as soon as I start to accelerate the oil pressure holds steady and doesn't budge. I also get pretty good oil pressure at idle. It fluctuates around 40 and 45 psi but like i mentioned before, it does jump around a bit.

Any opinions??

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Did the mechanic actually diagnose this as a lifter? it sounds like a guess. when I bought my Burb it had like 290 000 miles on it and the 5.7 motor ticked. I put marvel mystery fluid in the oil, ran it for a week and the ticking stopped. I did an oil change and what came out was down right nasty gooey hardly oil. the tick was probably why the truck was sold, but a cheap bottle of mmo fixed it. I continued to use mmo prior to doing an oil change and still use it once a year, usually in the spring as the truck idles a lot more in the winter time. my burb with 330 000 miles on it purrs like a kitten and it is a 100% original engine.

that's the only reason I have used mmo but it is also a great fuel system cleaner, your fuel injectors could also be the source of the noise.

can you ask the mechanic for a diagnosis?

sure, lots of people are against "cures in a bottle" but that's my experience and it worked for me. I have only used seafoam in small engines and it works great as well.

Al

I've had my 2000 yukon XL (supercharged 6.0) for just over 5 months now and I've noticed I've got a lifter tick going on. The engine has 130k miles. The tick sometimes gets louder and sometimes gets softer at idle but its always there. I don't think it gets louder when I accelerate but I'm not 100 percent sure. I recently took it to my mechanic and he told me that he would have to take the heads off and replace the lifter. He told me this job could easily be over $3,000. Im going off to college soon and cant afford that so I told him I would sleep on it. After doing more research I've seen some guys using sea foam and other engine cleaning products but having limited success. (I also don't want to try an engine flush as I've heard some pretty bad things about them.) Ive seen a lot of guys replacing the O ring gasket on the oil pickup and that has made me think about how sometimes (only at idle) the oil pressure fluctuates and twitches pretty often. Could this be the problem I'm having? Could replacing that gasket make the lifter tick go away? The only reason I think this couldn't be the case is, as soon as I start to accelerate the oil pressure holds steady and doesn't budge. I also get pretty good oil pressure at idle. It fluctuates around 40 and 45 psi but like i mentioned before, it does jump around a bit.

Any opinions??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did the mechanic actually diagnose this as a lifter? it sounds like a guess. when I bought my Burb it had like 290 000 miles on it and the 5.7 motor ticked. I put marvel mystery fluid in the oil, ran it for a week and the ticking stopped. I did an oil change and what came out was down right nasty gooey hardly oil. the tick was probably why the truck was sold, but a cheap bottle of mmo fixed it. I continued to use mmo prior to doing an oil change and still use it once a year, usually in the spring as the truck idles a lot more in the winter time. my burb with 330 000 miles on it purrs like a kitten and it is a 100% original engine.

that's the only reason I have used mmo but it is also a great fuel system cleaner, your fuel injectors could also be the source of the noise.

can you ask the mechanic for a diagnosis?

sure, lots of people are against "cures in a bottle" but that's my experience and it worked for me. I have only used seafoam in small engines and it works great as well.

Al
Thanks for the response, I forgot to mention that I changed the oil a little over a week ago and didnt see any sludge or anything, the oil looked perfectly fine. Doesn't mean that there couldn't be crud caked into the bottom of the oil pan. I will definitely reconsider doing a flush.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
next time your due for an oil change.... dont waste fresh oil. it's not a sludge thing. carbon builds up around the lifters n such and mmo helps remove any of these types of deposits inside the crank case. if you put it in the fuel it will help clean the fuel system as well as the injectors.

I'm only a backyard mechanic, wrenching on my own old trucks that's why I asked if the mechanic diagnosed it or if he made an educated guess.

Reactions: bazar01

·
Registered
490 Posts
I had a 2002 Suburban 5.3L that had an occasional ticking. Ran to 200K before I sold it with no issues. Buddy of mine has a 2003 Tahoe with the 5.3L. It’s had a tick too forever. It’s still running with over 300K miles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts