GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now im debating between lowering or lifting the truck..While each has its ups and downs the one upside with lifting is it will not be limited to being a summer only truck. However to help retain my speedos accuracy i have wanted to keep stock diameter tires either way. I have been looking at both the Rough Country Lift kits and the Fabtech lift kits. Would the truck look goofy keeping the stock 235/75R15s with the 2" rough country lift? im assuming that this kit will basicly just level the truck out. dont want to wind up going too tall since one of the tasks this truck still needs to fulfill is carrying motorcycles.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I'd stay that the 235's will probly look pretty small with a 2" leveling kit. If you go with say a 265 ish your speedo will maybe be 2mph off if that. You could always get a custom shop to correct it or get a programmer. You'll also burn a little more gas.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I think 235's would look goofy but I run 265's and my ticket and speedometer had the same number on it. :neutral:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
265? as in 265/75R16s? Just making sure im reading your suggestions correctly. Currently the truck has 3.08 gearing in the rear diff as well should i regear with that much of an increase? If so how much difference would changing the rear gearing affect the speedo?

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
a 30x9.5 is barely bigger than a 235/75 if bigger at all..... Im guessing the 2" rough country lift is just a leveling kit for the front.... I would suggest like the others too go with a 265/75 (32" tire) or a 245/75 (31" tire) with the lift.... It will barely mess with your speedo with that little increase in tire maybe a couple MPH at most... I went with 33's on my truck from a 245/75 stock and when Im going 71 on my speedo Im really going 75.... your gas mileage may be slightly affected with the bigger tires prob 1 or 2 MPG at the most.... Rough country and fabtech are pretty different quality wise as well and Fabtech is definitely the better of the two however rough country is cheaper and your not really going to be wheelin much it seems so just go with the RC. As for the gearing Id say you should be fine with what you got but if your willing to spend the money it couldnt hurt to bump up to maybe a 3.55

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
a 30x9.5 is barely bigger than a 235/75 if bigger at all..... Im guessing the 2" rough country lift is just a leveling kit for the front.... I would suggest like the others too go with a 265/75 (32" tire) or a 245/75 (31" tire) with the lift.... It will barely mess with your speedo with that little increase in tire maybe a couple MPH at most... I went with 33's on my truck from a 245/75 stock and when Im going 71 on my speedo Im really going 75.... your gas mileage may be slightly affected with the bigger tires prob 1 or 2 MPG at the most.... Rough country and fabtech are pretty different quality wise as well and Fabtech is definitely the better of the two however rough country is cheaper and your not really going to be wheelin much it seems so just go with the RC. As for the gearing Id say you should be fine with what you got but if your willing to spend the money it couldnt hurt to bump up to maybe a 3.55
There are a lot of areas in the town that i live in that seem to thrive on trying to take out even stock height suspensioned vehicles thats one of the reasons for lifting the truck, another reason being is i travel a lot of backroads that have large dips and gravel in them (the one im pretty sure could substitute for a stretch of Baja) which is another reason. So yea the truck will be used for what im building it for this wont just be for appearance. But yea..from what i stated the RC kit will probably be more then enough. I was already considering throwing in some sort of limited slip hence why i asked for gearing reccomendations. Might as well regear while getting a new diff put in.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
my truck has 410's from the factory so I didn't need to regear, not that I would anyways. Unless you have other plans like you said for the limited slip, I wouldn't regear. And yes 265-75 R16.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts