GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand that you can raise your rear end with blocks between the leafs and axle, and it shouldn't be done to the front end.

But why?

Does it have something to do with steering problems or what?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Most newer vehicles use spindles and/or torsion bars so the front lift comes from them. Plus you have the sterring geometry that would be thrown off. What type of truck do you have and how much lift are you looking for?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an 84 Suburban C10. It has front and rear leaf springs. Looking at lifting it 4 inches or so. I was really just wondering though why it's not commmon. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Something else lifting with blocks does is put undo stress on leaf springs. You are essentially putting a block of rubber between the original mounting point and the leaf spring.

I have this on my yard plow, it was on there when I bought it. I guess some people think this makes the vehicle higher and makes you able to go threw deeper snow, mud, whatever.

It does not and anyone who tells you it does if full of crap. It does not raise the axels, ever burry your truck up to the axels? Lifted or not the axels stay the same height.

Now larger tires 33’s for example do raise the axels. This is not any safer for highway use but will make your axels higher and help off road clearance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts