GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1990 GMC Top Kick is nearing completion after more than two years. I bought a fire truck, removed the fire body. The plan was to put my 14' Flat/rack body on it.
It is equipped with a 3208 Caterpillar 10.4 Litre V8, and an Allison trans.
I'll post newer pictures once painted.
Latest challenge: I'd like AC.
There is plenty of room to mount a compressor, but no belt to drive it.
The whole set up is v belts, no room for more belts. Everything is in use now. Any suggestions?
Fire truck.jpg
Fire truck.jpg
Fire truck 2.jpg

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 460k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
163 Posts
I have never looked into this, but they must exist for electric cars... How about mounting an electric compressor? Your AC system could be entirely independent of the engine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My 1990 GMC Top Kick is nearing completion after more than two years. I bought a fire truck, removed the fire body. The plan was to put my 14' Flat/rack body on it.
It is equipped with a 3208 Caterpillar 10.4 Litre V8, and an Allison trans.
I'll post newer pictures once painted.
Latest challenge: I'd like AC.
There is plenty of room to mount a compressor, but no belt to drive it.
The whole set up is v belts, no room for more belts. Everything is in use now. Any suggestions? View attachment 167107 View attachment 167107 View attachment 167108 View attachment 167107 View attachment 167108
I have seen farm machinery & railroad maintenance equipment with AC units having no hoses. I guess they are electric.
My truck has a 200 amp alternator at 120 volts 2400 watts. I have room behind the cab. I can't find these units.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Google Cat Parts Store, keyword crankshaft pulleys.
I'll look into it, but there is no room for more belts before the radiator. This is all V belts & some units get two belts. I'd have to check, but I think there are something like 7 belts now coming off the crankshaft pulley. I haven't looked into converting to serpentine belt system, I'd expect it to cost BIG to do so. Maybe move the radiator forward to make room for more belts.

I do have a BIG alternator, can't help wondering who makes the units I see on railroad maintenance machinery, and older farm tractors. Some are mounted to the back of the cab, others, on the roof. I don't see hoses on them, so I guess they are self contained electric

There are some 120 Volt compact units that could fit between bucket seats. They would require an inverter.

·
Registered
13,647 Posts
I think I would figure out a good mounting location (lots of brackets available) and then mount so the AC pulley aligns with a near by pulley. Remove the belt driving the near by pulley and get a larger one to also drive the new AC pulley.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Friggin sweet truck! On my list even tho I dont need one. Sweet!

Ray I had the exact same idea.

CHEERS!

Reactions: RayVoy

·
Registered
642 Posts
Friggin sweet truck!
^^^Ditto! I've always liked the 3208 Cat motor. Years ago I heard rumors GM was going to put one in their pickups shortly after the 12 valve Cummins came out in Dodge trucks but, I guess either the rumor was just that - a rumor or, they changed their mind.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did find a DC electric system. Looks to be expensive. Three major components: Headliner mounted evaporator, Radiator mounted condenser, and electric compressor. The search continues.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^^^Ditto! I've always liked the 3208 Cat motor. Years ago I heard rumors GM was going to put one in their pickups shortly after the 12 valve Cummins came out in Dodge trucks but, I guess either the rumor was just that - a rumor or, they changed their mind.
Somewhere I've seen the specs on this motor, I can't remember what it weighs, but it is HEAVY!
They were rated in several horsepower, mine is only 250 HP, it propels the truck with a whole lot more enthusiasm than the older C65 with a 427 tall block truck engine. It too is rated at 250 HP. I'm confused how a 10.4 litre turbo diesel has the same horsepower as a 7 litre naturally aspirated gas engine. I get it, the diesel is rated at 2500 RPM, the gas at 5000. I'd be very surprised if it didn't explode at 5000 RPM.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Yeah, we had a NA 3208 in a White articulated dualed up 4wheel drive 12 speed tractor which only put out 150 PTO HP. Even had a forklift with one in it. That motor came in all kinds of configurations and HP. Some came with sleeved cylinders some didn't. They were considered "throw away" engines but, a lot of people bored, sleeved and rebuilt them. You could sure hear it coming, it had its own particular sound/rattle, LOL.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Yeah, we had a NA 3208 in a White articulated dualed up 4wheel drive 12 speed tractor which only put out 150 PTO HP. Even had a forklift with one in it. That motor came in all kinds of configurations and HP. Some came with sleeved cylinders some didn't. They were considered "throw away" engines but, a lot of people bored, sleeved and rebuilt them. You could sure hear it coming, it had its own particular sound/rattle, LOL.
My Dad and uncle had a dry-land wheat farm and used a MF 1505 and 1805 tractors to farm it with. The MF's sound very similar to the White you mentioned, both used the 3208, specs on the 1805 had a higher hp version. Both of them were thirsty suckers, 12-13 gph. An uncle from my Mom's side of the family was a Cat mechanic and he replaced the main bearings in both engines, I was gone from the farm by then and not sure exactly why, falling oil pressure, noise, or maybe the Cat mechanic uncle recommended it based on run hours.

·
Registered
642 Posts
My Dad and uncle had a dry-land wheat farm and used a MF 1505 and 1805 tractors to farm it with
We had Masseys too but they were all Perkins Diesels. I split (smaller tractors 60HP - 90HP didn't have frames, they use the engine) and rebuilt a couple of them back in the 80's.

·
Registered
347 Posts
We had Masseys too but they were all Perkins Diesels. I split (smaller tractors 60HP - 90HP didn't have frames, they use the engine) and rebuilt a couple of them back in the 80's.
Can't speak from personal experience but I've heard it told the Perkins was a great diesel. Very thrifty on fuel and the English steel crankshaft was so hard that it couldn't be turned, but that I couldn't verify.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Very thrifty on fuel and the English steel crankshaft was so hard that it couldn't be turned, but that I couldn't verify.
Yeah they were good on fuel. I can't say anything about the crank alloy but, when I mic'd them they were well within spec and smooth. The issues were overheating and burning oil. Those engines were sleeved so, all I had to do was order sleeves, rings, bearings, gaskets, clutch, pressure plate, & TO brg. The heads and deck were still flat so, no machine work needed. Easiest rebuilds I ever did, other than splitting the tractors 1st. We used an A-frame with a 1-1/2T IR air hoist and a floor jack. Sorry about rambling on.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cat 3208 is throw away because it has no sleeves. When the bores are out of tolerance it is cheaper to replace the block than bore. I've heard of 500,000 miles before repairs. As mine has 31,000 now, will get another 3000 a year, I'm 63, I won't live to see it wear out. Not saying something catastrophic couldn't happen.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm utterly spent! The "New Truck" had functional tires, that had been chewed up with tire chains. Best strategy was it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I wanted to transfer recent tires from the old truck to the newer one. The old truck has tires rated for much more load.
I've bought $4000. in tires from my dealer last year. He was diplomatic, didn't say "that's stupid"
I was caught up in the older truck having new tires in a very heavy weight range. I had used these just enough to know they are problem free.
I went through all the You Tube videos. It is effortless to dismount these wheels.
WTF!!!!!!?

My tire dealer has said "I am the only one qualified to dismount these wheels." "I don't have time to do it, I'll have to do it in the evening"

I hoped to dismount eight tires, throw away 4 wheels, replace those wheels, buy four new wheels, remount, and be done.
It is far less simple!!!!!!!!!!!!

The best tire dealer in the next county is shy! I attempted to dismount tires from disposable rims. I watched several You Tube videos that made it look easy.

I went at it with two backhoes. All the human powered pounding had failed. It occurred to me a backhoe bucket with one tooth came close to the shape the videos showed. I tried it.

Two days into it, I punched a hole through a sidewall of a tire I hoped to use.

·
Registered
13,647 Posts
I seems to me that by now you are aware of why tire companies pay big bucks for tire changing equipment.
If it was easy we would all do it and put the tire guys out of business.
A tire shop would have taken 2 hours and saved you the cost of replacing a tire.
Just my 2 cents, no harm in admitting you made a bad choice.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It was my first choice to have a tire dealer do it. While I haven't changed a lot of three piece wheels, I've never been refused by a tire dealer before. Making this transition may have been a poor choice. All the tire dealers want me to transition to 22.5" tires. They can't, (or won't) get 20" wheels.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts