GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
its a 93 k1500 4x4. 128k miles. Texas truck, now in CA. Dealer says he got it as a trade, made money on the trade, just trying to get rid of this truck. He said it was too good to just send to auction. OK, dealer talk.

I got him to send me a carfax. Everything checked out ok, but it showed that it failed emissions a few times in its life. Once at 35k, 103k and 112k. (shows catalytic converter replaced at 103k, failed before, passed after)

Is the 5.7tbi tough to smog? Is this a sign of trouble truck?

Its located 1.5hrs from my house so I am trying to get as much info as I can before going to see it.

I currently have a 96 Bronco but need something bigger since I have a new baby. Climbing in the back is not a fun thing.

Thanks.

Bill
(Hopefully a suburban owner soon)

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Hmm, smog rules are different in California than they are in the rest of the country ... although the rest of the country is catching up.

It's still on the road, so it's obviously passed emmisions every year of its life up until now. Worse come to worse, some of the smog components will have to be replaced ... I've never had a fail on a 5.7 and I've owned several of them from several years.

What other information is shown on the carfax?

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Not driving a car for long enough before bringing it in to be inspected can cause a failure. Needing a tune-up, at least that’s the things that were common causes in Taxachusettes when I lived there.

I would not worry to much about it. If that’s the only problem, Buy it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The rest of the carfax looks good. No reported problems. I am waiting for some other pics of the interior before I drive to see it.

He said he would trade me my Bronco. Its worth more but its a manuf. buy back because of a bad instrument panel. The Bronco has been 100% reliable since 70,000 miles when the previous owner bought it from the Ford dealer. I bought it from him at 105k and now have 128k on it. NO issues.

Oh, I don't think I mentioned that this burb is going for $4999. Its well below KBB for dealer price, which is $6500 for retail. Its more in line with an KBB excellent private party value, which is $5000. I am kinda wondering why a dealer would not charge more if he could...

Next I would have to find a shop in the area to get it checked out. Would it be a good idea to take it to a Chevy dealer for inspection?

Oh, and mileage. I am getting an avg of 13-14mpg in my Bronco. I shouldn't be too far off in the burb.

Thanks for the help..

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
The rest of the carfax looks good. No reported problems. I am waiting for some other pics of the interior before I drive to see it.

He said he would trade me my Bronco. Its worth more but its a manuf. buy back because of a bad instrument panel. The Bronco has been 100% reliable since 70,000 miles when the previous owner bought it from the Ford dealer. I bought it from him at 105k and now have 128k on it. NO issues.

Oh, I don't think I mentioned that this burb is going for $4999. Its well below KBB for dealer price, which is $6500 for retail. Its more in line with an KBB excellent private party value, which is $5000. I am kinda wondering why a dealer would not charge more if he could...

Next I would have to find a shop in the area to get it checked out. Would it be a good idea to take it to a Chevy dealer for inspection?

Oh, and mileage. I am getting an avg of 13-14mpg in my Bronco. I shouldn't be too far off in the burb.

Thanks for the help..

Bill
That sounds a little high, at least by NADA, for my area code, now Calyfornia, I don't know.

http://www.nadaguides.com/UsedCar/Values/1993/SUV/1993_1071_573_18_128000_52540_04938_-1_1_0102030409202930325014.aspz?LI=1-21-1-5013-0-0-0

1993 GMC Suburban 1/2-3/4 Ton Utility K1500 (4WD)

PRICING

Low Retail Clean Retail Value High Retail
Base Price $3,200 $4,375 N/A
Mileage - 128,000 miles $100 $100 $100
TOTAL PRICE $3,300 $4,475* N/A
* This Retail price is based on a clean vehicle history report. Don't make a $4,475 mistake. Get a Vehicle History Report today.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya, after looking a bit more $4999 is a bit high. Edmunds TMV price is $3988 for dealer retail.

I think I really have to go see it and drive it. This will be my first time driving a Suburban. Anything I should look at or do specifically on the test drive?

Thanks for all the info. I hope I can pick one up soon. My poor knee's can't take crawling in the back seat of the Bronco with a 26lb baby much longer :mdr:

Bill

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
There are several things that I look for in a vehicle when I go to test drive. I'm probably like most people on here.

First, I look at the body overall. Make certain that the body panels are intact and they line up straight.

Then, I make certain the engine is cold and I start her cold. Check for idle, temp, charging, etc. Once the vehicle gets warm, the heat should work, you should see the temp rise after a couple of minutes.

Then, just work the vehicle over. Make certain that everything works including stuff like wipers, defrost, heat, A/C, windows, locks, etc, etc, etc.

Then check for suspension stuff. Check the springs and check for bounce. If it's had any weight in it, the springs may be a bit weak. Check the tires, brakes, wheels, etc. Look under for oil/tranny fluid, etc. Look under the hood for the same. See if anything has been replaced. Check compression in each cyl if possible.

Go for a drive. You're driving a suburban so it will feel big becuase it is big. Steering should be tight, alignment should be straight, etc.

Basicly there are things that can go wrong if she was abused and not taken care of.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have now found a 95 k2500 with 81,000 miles. They want $6000 for it. I am going to look at it this weekend.

Now if I can just get this Bronco sold I will be set.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts