GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have the SB 350 vortec out of a 1996 tahoe like most of you could guess, and im looking for a supercharger, anyone know where i can get one that is like EVERYTHING i need, i was thinking i would like a twin screw style not like the vortec supercharger but like one that replaces the intake plenum, any help?

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
nice choice going with the roots blower I have alwasy liked them more too.... look online for procharger or magnacharger I believe they make them for vortecs.... look in summitracing.com

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my main concern is that i want to keep my tbi and i want to keep it all under my hood, will this still work?

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
it should still work but you may have to get a cowl hood to clear the supercharger underneath

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
got that covered, but umm would someone help mefind one cus i was looking everywhere and could not find one

got the hood done.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
yea i looked at whipple too but they only make them 99 and up

·
Registered
10 Posts
Go to superchargeronline.com, very good source! twin screw is my recommendation. Magnson is excellent choice tested with many friends I know. Ebay can also offer very good deal! good luck

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i also wish to keep my efi/tbi system, thats why im so stuck.:grrrrrr:i dont really want to switch to a carb

·
Registered
21 Posts
Supercharger

Hey,

Just wanted to add my 2 cents...

I have installed a few of the Powerdyne superchargers on different trucks and have been extremely satisfied with them. I have also done a couple roots style and also have had good results.

Powerdyne makes one for your application and it is pretty easy as far as the install goes, well, as easy as installing a supercharger gets.

The brackets and everything are included in the kit along with a upgraded fuel pump from what I can tell. http://www.powerdyne.com/chevy.htm

The last one I did was on a 03 5.3 Silverado and the truck was lifted 6" with 35's and would melt them off whenever you wanted. Going 55 on the highway, if you tramped it down, the back end would break loose and smoke the tires instantly. The truck was crazy.

Definately worth a look.

Crunch.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well im trying to stay with a roots style so yeah

·
Registered
333 Posts
You mentioned, you wish to keep your TBI. This is a bizarre requirement for a twin screw huffer. Are you thinking you can use the factory computer if you keep the TBI? Seems you need to step back a take a second look at the basic plumbing involved:
1. A centrifugal blower (belt or exhaust driven) is the simplest to set up because there are little or no modifications to the existing intake. Basically you apply positive pressure to your existing intake (carb or throttle body). Centrifugal units are relatively cheap, small and have various installation options.
2. Typically, a screw supercharger involves replacing the intake manifold. With the new manifold, you have the opportunity to go to direct port injection. What you have on top of the blower is simply a throttle body. The advantage of this system (for the street) is that the blower is pushing just air and doesn't have to contend with fuel. Yet, you're correct, the popular packages assume a carb atop the blower. They do this to avoid messing with the electronics required to run a multi-port FI. Perhaps, after the new ZR1 'Vette has been out for awhile, there will be more diverse after-market multi-port supercharger applications. Also, don't forget, if you have an automatic trans it's computer controlled, too.
IMHO, if you want to keep your TBI, then go with a centrifugal system. Or, find someone who has already done it successfully with a screw unit.
You didn't mention your location, are you subject to smog inspections? I don't think you'll find a 50-states approved screw supercharger, TBI, MPI or carb.
Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts