GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2007 (new body style) 1500 Z71 Silverado. I have a 2" leveling kit on the front. I've only got about 50k miles but it's starting to get real "boaty" and I don't like the ride. I'm in the market for new struts/shocks and can't decide what to get. Everything I read says go with the Bilsteins, but they will cost me a little more.

First off, do I need struts on the front or shocks (I think struts)? If so, what Bilsteins should I get?
If not Bilsteins, do you recommend Rancho over Procomp?
I'm also considering Monroes, since I can get a really good deal on the parts and labor. Is this a bad idea?

Thanks!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ive got monroe sensatracs had em for about a year and am going to be replacing them soon. Im not very satisfied with them. Better off going with something a lil more expensive. Im not sure about the others, sure someone will chime in im sure.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I prefer Rancho over Bilstein, just my preference, and it should be shocks not struts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Has anyone replaced shocks on a 2007 Z71? I was told by 4WheelParts that I have struts on the front but I can only find shocks when I search online for my truck. Does anyone know?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Look at your front end and see if you have struts or shocks. I have not seen a Z71 Chevy truck that has struts. I am currently driving a 2011 1500 4x4 (rental since my work truck died) and it still has shocks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, it's definetly struts on the front and shocks on the rear. I'm looking at Bilsteins (4600's I think) and possibly Monroe or Rancho. Can anyone recommend one of these for struts and if so what model? Thanks!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I will take back what I said last night the 2011 I am driving does have struts, I would still go with Ranchos RS5000 series. I don't care for Bilsteins, I have had them and they didn't last.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Go with the bilsteins, you will not regret it. I have a '08 with level kit and got the 5100's. Yes, they do cost more but they do have a life time
warranty. The ride is awesome and they are hand built. Rancho makes quality stuff but you want a strut/shock combo with the same rebound for the best ride. Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
As Alston said, go with the Bilstiens.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
If you have a Z71 you should have Bilstiens already... Unless they are leaking they should still be fine.. If you do want new ones eather go with Bilstiens or KYB's
You can't go wrong with eather one..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the responses. If I go with the Bilstein 5100 adjustables (and I have a Rough Country 2" leveling kit already) should I just remove it and max out the setting on the 5100's or leave the leveling kit in? Will it be smoother with it out?
By the way, do you know the part number of the 5100's for my truck? Is it BE5-E376-H0 / 24-186940?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Thanks for the responses. If I go with the Bilstein 5100 adjustables (and I have a Rough Country 2" leveling kit already) should I just remove it and max out the setting on the 5100's or leave the leveling kit in? Will it be smoother with it out?
By the way, do you know the part number of the 5100's for my truck? Is it BE5-E376-H0 / 24-186940?

Thanks!
You got the right part numbers. I went with the 1-2" lift rear shocks because I have a 2" block in the rear. If you are happy with the RCX level kit I would just set the Bil's on stock and enjoy the ride. I have heard if you max out the Bil's they ride a little rough. If you wanted you could put the Bil's on the first notch which would be about .70" lift and then toss a block in the rear unless you like the Cali lean.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts