GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes I am a newbie to suburban and I need a little help. I would like to know if this is a great deal. I am ready to purchase a 1998 Suburban fully loaded 5.7 V8 4x4 with 115,000 k on it for 5,000.00. What do you think? Help me...

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Sounds like a fair deal to me.

But to be sure take it to a local shop and pay him his hourly rate to check it out.

Run compression test, check brakes, exhaust, trany, and everything else.

50 or 100 dollars could save you a lot of head aches down the road.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
I bought my 99 a year ago for $8200 and thought I got a good deal. Yours sounds even better.

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
While fuel costs go up, the prices on these vehicles goes down. In the past, gas prices have always leveled out and people want the power and don't mind a little bit less MPG.

Sounds like a decent value for the burb, let us know what you do and what you find out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Bought a '98 with minimal options (which is actually what we wanted) 3 years ago for $7K with around 90K if I recall so yours sounds like a good deal if the mechanic gives it the ok. Also consider the carfax report as well, get the unlimited for a few bucks extra and you get the ability to check as many cars as you want (checked all the rest of the cars in my household as well as some others I was looking at).

Good evening to you.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
(checked all the rest of the cars in my household as well as some others I was looking at).
I did the same thing while looking for an Avalanche for the wife. Turns out a family member had a F150 that was registered as a lemon, and he didn't know it (he was the third owner).
Needless to say, he was quite upset when I informed him. Maybe I should have kept that to myself.:redface:

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Wow, the carfax before the sale would have been a very good investment. I think we bought a 1-year contract when we were car shopping before. We caught a few that had major wrecks, one that was flooded. No lemons though.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Yeah, I also learned that the original owner of my 'burban bought it in Florida, and had an accident with it 3 mos after the purchase. The accident said, "low speed collision with imovable object." It was in January, so I figure there was probably a snow dusting or icing, on the road, and they hit a pole, or fire hydrant. Wouldn't know that it ever had a collision to look at it though. Probably just replaced the bumper.

·
1,532 Posts
That sounds like a decent deal on a '98 Newbie. I've had my '98 for a year now, and it's been ok. Had to change the intake manifold gasket and the water pump (famous GM problems of that era with the Dex-cool thing and what not). If the one you're looking at hasn't had the intake gasket changed, yet, be sure to check the cooling system real good for leaks. I don't know that finding a leaking gasket is a show stopper (unless it has leaked into the oil which could cause bearing issues), but it would be nice to know up front.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Listen to Mr. Shorty

I do not know if mine was an isolated thing but I had a 99 w/ 113000 on it and had to have the lower seals replaced $$, Two alternators, ABS sensors$$ Door locks electric $. Loved the truck, thought it was a little too many things wrong, but all of the 6 trucks including a 98 ext cab 4x4 not one problem!

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I do not know if mine was an isolated thing but I had a 99 w/ 113000 on it and had to have the lower seals replaced $$, Two alternators, ABS sensors$$ Door locks electric $. Loved the truck, thought it was a little too many things wrong, but all of the 6 trucks including a 98 ext cab 4x4 not one problem!
Dual alternators? lol Just kidding. Hey it beats paying $600 month for a new burb.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts