GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the gearbox and the idler arm replaced with no change to my 99 Suburbans loose steering. A GM cerified machanic says that's the best it will get. Anyone, Please help with sugestions?

·
Registered
269 Posts
How loose are we talking about? Sloppy? If you put a piece of tap straight up on the top of the wheel and turned it until it engaged the tires, we talking 1 degree? 10 degrees? 20 degrees of turn?

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Get under it and find the pitman arm, it’s on the bottom of the steering box.

Have a helper move the wheel back and forth. If the pitman arm is loose it will be noticeable, the arm will move and the shaft won’t.

Short of that I would bring it in for an alignment and see what they have to say.

If there is something wrong that they can make money on they will find it.

But my money is on the pitman arm.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had the pitmen arms replaced and the steering is still loose, no chnage at all. any other suggestions?

·
1,536 Posts
ball joints.
wheel bearings.
steering wheel.
rag joint (or whatever it's made of) in the steering column.
tie rod ends.
anything else that is loose in the front suspension.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had the gearbox and the idler arm replaced with no change to my 99 Suburbans loose steering. A GM cerified machanic says that's the best it will get. Anyone, Please help with sugestions?
i am pretty sure that there is a sensor at the base of the column that is a steering wheel position sensor and they say that if they go bad it feels like you are drining on ice

1 - 8 of 8 Posts