GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum, and have a new 2006 TB as well.
I couldn't find anyone stateing that they have any steering issues.
But I seem to find a looseness in the off center position of the steering wheel. Is this comon ? Is there a fix or adjustment to tighten ?

I only have 144 miles on it and, got a great deal, on what I hope will be a great truck.

Just this slight problem, if it is a problem.

Thanks DR.Z

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Hi, welcome to the site.

It may be common to have loose steering issues, but it's generally not a good sign. Have you hit a pot-hole or something recently? It could be a sign of a loose tie-rod or there could be some play in one of the steering arms. For 144 miles it should go DEAD-CENTER straight.

My advice: Go back to the dealer ASAP.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Steve thanks for the prompt reply.
No I don't believe I hit a pothole, though Cleveland is full of them.

I did check tire pressure and found left front was low about 22 Lbs. I raised it to 30 Lbs and add a little to the right to get it to 30 lbs as well.

Still the wheel is at 8 and 2 O'Clock to go straight not 9 and 3 .

I have running boards on order, they should be in next week so I will bring it in and ask for an alignment and see if any other problems with the steering rack.

DR.Z

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
For that few miles, they shouldn't be low at all (new tires as well). I guess it's possible that low tire pressure could have given the impression of loose and sloppy steering.

With the steering, I would notify the dealer asap, becuase it's possible they could state that the steering was hit or a pot hole did it, etc. They probably will not do that, but I've seen a lot.

What's the dealer that you bought from? We've created a new forum on this board for "rate a dealer".

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/PNphpBB2-viewforum-f-201.phtml

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought at Tim Lally Chevy in Bedford Ohio.
Can't rate them yet as I have only delt with sales so far.

They are close to my shop so I will try and stop by today to at least report it to service and get a feel for there willingness to align and check the front-end.

Adding air to the front tires fixed some of the wiggle/looseness in the steering, but the alignment still needs checking I fear.

I'll keep you posted.

DR.Z

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stoped by the Chevy dealer today and told service about my problem.
SA told me she would be happy to set me up for service, wheel alignment to fix off center steering wheel as well as check front suspension , but only after 500 mile break-in period.

She said GM has a policy about doing alignments only after break-in period.
I have never heard this , but OK I 'll come back, they seemed nice enough
and willing to fix it.

DR.Z

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I should think that despite the policy, if something is amiss this early on, they should consider it a safety issue, and take action.
My previous job was only 10 miles round trip, it would have taken me about 6 mos to rack up the additional miles to hit 500.
For me, I would insist that they make a exception to that policy.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Yeah, I agree. If the vehicle is pulling now, I would want it fixed now. I know they used to have break in periods for engines, etc. Those days are long past as all engines are run for a simulated 500 miles break-in while still in the factory.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts