1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1999 Chevy Tahoe 4WD
5.7L Vortec
Automatic

Tahoe runs great prior to going up a steep hill, but after about half way up a 1 mile incline the Tahoe starts to shake and loses power. At this point I'm traveling around 50mph and turning at 2100 rpm. I'd appreciate any thoughts, or ideas. Check engine light comes on and the code read.....cylinder #3 mis-fire. I changed all plugs and it helped, but it still bucks when I'm asking for more power.

·
1,536 Posts
Did you change the wires, too? It seems that the ignition system shows it's weak spots under load like that. Possibly one of the wires is "leaking" under power.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
maybe replace the cap and rotor too just for kicks.... they are cheap anyway

·
Registered
241 Posts
My 00 Sierra showed the same symptoms and I had the same code. Mine turned out to be the coil pac I am not sure which set up you have Cap Rotor Coil of a seperate coil for each cylinder.

·
Registered
533 Posts
1999 Chevy Tahoe 4WD
5.7L Vortec
Automatic

Tahoe runs great prior to going up a steep hill, but after about half way up a 1 mile incline the Tahoe starts to shake and loses power. At this point I'm traveling around 50mph and turning at 2100 rpm. I'd appreciate any thoughts, or ideas. Check engine light comes on and the code read.....cylinder #3 mis-fire. I changed all plugs and it helped, but it still bucks when I'm asking for more power.

sounds like you got a bad fuel injector and you already know what port to replace, changing plugs and wires would help but your only putting a band aid on the problem. Changing the fuel filter may also be a key since if its clogged when you step on the gas she'll chug along with no power..but it wouldnt throw a misfire trouble code ....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts