GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on the way home today and I was towing 3000 lbs of mulch plus the trailer (2,000 lbs), which is well within reasonable bounds for my 05 5.3 1500. Around a decently sharp turn that you can’t see far around there was an 18 wheeler just parked halfway on the road. I couldn’t go around it because there were cars coming in the other lane so I had to come to a screeching halt from 49 mph. Once it finally stopped there was smoke everywhere in the back, my first thought was that it was just from the pads or tires since it was on both sides, but then I saw the exhaust was puffing out white smoke like those vape kids and the engine started running rough. I turned it off immediately and it sounded like it was running dry as it was turning off. I got out and gave him the “what are you doing” shrug (I don’t know why he was on the main road walking around the trailer for, there were 2 side roads he could’ve parked on). After that I walked around the truck to make sure it was ok and there was still a little bit of white smoke puffing out. I started it back up and it was running smooth so I put it in drive and got a move on back home since there was a convoy forming behind me on that turn. I’m wondering what would cause the exhaust to be smoking like and the engine to start running rough after braking hard. If anyone knows please let me know.
Tire Wheel Sky Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
303 Posts
Sounds to me like you sucked up brake fluid from the brake booster and it burned off in the engine considering it happened after this. Brake booster is probably on it's way out.

That is the only possibility I could think of off the top of my head after hard braking.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds to me like you sucked up brake fluid from the brake booster and it burned off in the engine considering it happened after this. Brake booster is probably on it's way out.

That is the only possibility I could think of off the top of my head after hard braking.
The brake booster is still the original one so I wouldn’t be taken off guard if that is the issue. You did remind me about this, but I have had a small brake fluid leak going on the last year and a half at least. I have to refill the fluid About every 6-8 weeks depending on how much I drive and I could never find the leak. How would it get in the engine to be burnt off?

·
Registered
‘01 Silverado 2500HD 8.1/Allison 5sp xcab long bed
3,811 Posts
If the booster Diaphragm is perforated, and the master cylinder is leaking into the booster, it will be quite easy for the vacuum system to inhale whatever’s in the booster.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the booster Diaphragm is perforated, and the master cylinder is leaking into the booster, it will be quite easy for the vacuum system to inhale whatever’s in the booster.
I think it’s best to just go ahead and replace it now rather than wait so it won’t go out on me like it did on the interstate with my ranger. I don’t know if I could post a video in the comments so I took a picture. Remembered that the vacuum line that goes to the intake hisses and will stop if i slightly adjust the line. I imagine this has something to do with my woes
Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber Motor vehicle Bicycle part

1 - 5 of 5 Posts