GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truck sounds like it is coming apart at low speed over small bumps... Have replaced the steering shaft 3 times and last replacement was with the "new design" that is suposed to eliminate the steering clunk..

The sound is definitly something loose or clnking around and is felt as well as heard.. Mostly from front end but now I am noticing it in the rear end as well... I have adjusted the tailgate so it isn't that..

I was thinking mabey the seats are worn in front.. but the back is concerning me too... and most recently noticing an audbile rattle from the steering shaft in the cab up under the dash.

I think the truck is just coming apart.. :lol:

·
Registered
140 Posts
i had my share of clunks in silverado, so this might help:
shake your steering wheel vigorously back and forth. mine makes clunking noise IN THE WHEEL. i think it has nothing to do with steering shaft, just the way it's made.
if you have rubbing noise coming from about right behind your butt at take off and at coming to standstill, it's your driveshaft yoke. it goes rusty and splines rub inside transmission. when you take off or stop, suspension moves, elongating and shortening, that's why they have long shaft on yoke with splines, moving back and foth in transmission or transfer case. you can buy new, nickel plated yoke and replace it, or keep spraying penetrating oil into the yoke rubber boot, or remove the yoke and lub it with miracle greese stealership will sell you.
leaf springs move on bushings and rub. yokes on leaf springs move and rub.
if you have knocking sound while going over bumps/potholes at low speed, i'd bet on your ball joints. check your ball joints out.
driveaxles can produce clunking noise.
if you have 4wd engaged and go into tight turn at low speed, you'll hear grinding noise and jerk coming from front end, it's u-joints binding, that's the way it's made. chevy has several pages letter "explaining" why it's "normal" and "supposed to be that way".
very loud stereo with subwoofer works great to fix it all.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ball Joints are the most common suspension clunking noise especially with 100K+ miles, but are in the front only. I just replaced my lower ball joints at 130K miles. Right side was moving almost an inch up and down... I've heard bad shocks make a clunking noise also, but very rare. Hope you find the source, it sounds kinda dangerous.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks ... truck is a 05 and has 70k on the clock, 2wd.. you wouldn't think ball joints.. but I'll check.. Shocks are new (well 9 months ago) I replaced the squishy stockers with Rough country off road nitrogen shocks.. They may be too stiff :neutral: I'll keep you posted..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE....
Found the rattle in steering... loose bushing under dash where the upper shaft extends out of the column and connects to the intermediate shaft. Now the issue is How to fix it... without pulling the whole column out.. and if that part is even replaceable. worse case I can pull out the JB weld... :lol:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update.... Fixed steering column rattle.... drilled small hole in outer bushing flange.. ran long zip tie thru hole.. zip tied to the outer column.. Rattle gone... :happy:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts