GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 91 chevy c2500 Silverado 2wd that I just recently did a brake job for replaced with new 6 lug rotor/hubs and new pads and noticed how close the the lower control arm was to the rotor while I had it jacked up and when the truck is on the ground it’s completely butted up against the rotor... keep in mind this was my grandfathers old pickup That was passed down to me that I’m trying to fix up so it’s never been serviced or maintained properly hell the thing has never had an alignment since new... and all the suspension is still factory... only has 132k miles I’m wondering if it’s suspension related like lower ball joints or the rotors I got are the wrong size has anyone ever had this problem before ? Here’s a picture of when I had it jacked up how close it is to the rotor

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 460k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
1,280 Posts
I would check to make sure your rotors are the right size. Take yours in and compare them to another set.

If this checks out, start examining the ball joints and pivot points for slop. I bet you will find one collapsed or very, very loose.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would check to make sure your rotors are the right size. Take yours in and compare them to another set.

If this checks out, start examining the ball joints and pivot points for slop. I bet you will find one collapsed or very, very loose.
Thats my next step i am wondering if the 3/4 ton truck with 6 lugs had two types of rotors light duty and heavy duty like the 5 lug trucks had?

·
Registered
98 gmc k1500 5.7
480 Posts
did you check bearing for looseness, im thinking the spindles are different size and the rotor is sitting farther back on spindle , you might have to go back to 5 lug rotors

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
did you check bearing for looseness, im thinking the spindles are different size and the rotor is sitting farther back on spindle , you might have to go back to 5 lug rotors
no not really all the new bearings fit into the races and went in pretty smooth this truck is a factory 6 lug

1 - 5 of 5 Posts