GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put some 20" rims on my 2001 Silverado and I would like some help on lowering the rear end. What are some easy, inexpensive ways to do it. I need to lower the rear about 4"

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Cheapest way is to cut the springs. :) But, you probaby don't want to do that.

You just want to lower the rear end only?

·
Registered
5 Posts
To even out the ride just use shackle and hangers on the rear. They are inexpensive and so so simple to install; just be aware that a 4" drop may be too extreme. You don't want the rear to be lower than the front.

·
Registered
269 Posts
yeah, several guys I know have done something like that. It gives it a little bit more street-worthness when taking corners and some stability. Makes it look smooth too.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Shackles/hangers are the best way to go. Cutting coils or removing leafs from a spring pack will get the job done but it will affect the ride quality and handling usually in a negative way. Also be aware that when you level the truck by lowering the rear, if you put anything in the bed with any significant weight the truck will sag in the rear. Not a big deal cause it's usually not for a very long time but something worth noting, especially if you haul stuff on a regular basis.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey guys how do you go about getting these shackle and hangers? would they be at your local parts store and would the screen readers look at you funny if you asked for that name? also what are they doing to lower the rear doing the job i assume isnt that difficult?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Dropped the rear on my '06 Silverado CC Z71 by 2" with shackles.
Almost a perfect 21.5" on each corner, except for the drivers rear corner which is at 21" :roll:

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
What sort of cost can a guy expect to pay for a setup like that?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts