GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1975 Chevy C10 Custom Deluxe
So the ignition lock cylinder was stuck in the run position (not the start position, the position where the aux power comes on) and it would not return to off so i wanted to replace it. Tried everything I could think of to get it to twist. Nothing worked. to remove the lock cylinder, you need it to be in the off position. Anyways, looked up solutions and people with the same problem had no choice but to drill out the lock... so as my last resort I did that. I took my time not to break the stuff behind the lock... broke the plastic gear behind the lock... (lost patience i guess...) At least I got the core of the lock out!... but the outer shell is still stuck. Made backwards progress and I'm extremely angry at myself. So now here's why I'm here asking for help
Do I need to replace the whole damn steering column because I broke this plastic thing?
If I can get the lock housing part of the steering column out, is there a place where I could buy just that part?
Is there a way I can buy just the broken gear?
How should I get the remaining part of the lock out?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got the ignition lock housing out and got the lock out. But that broken plastic gear is back to haunt me. There’s no obvious way to remove it and replace it, and I can’t find anywhere where you can buy just this section of the steering column.

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 460k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
1,148 Posts
I think, for the sake of cleaning that up and making sure everything works right, you're best bet is going to be replace the steering column and have the truck rekeyed with same keys for the doors and column.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you're best bet is going to be replace the steering column
As much as I agree with you, that's $300 I'd rather spend elsewhere on the truck. I'd rather repair then replace it.Now that I got the lock body out, I just need to repair the plastic cog thing. I'm trying to find solutions but if you hav eany idea I'm up to hear it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts