GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So all this talk about descreening your MAF peaked my interest so I started looking under the hood.
I pulled the air box, disconnected the MAF and started toying with the idea of removing the screen. I decided let sleeping dogs lie and left it alone. I replaced everything and started my truck without plugging in the MAF!!! So anyways my check engine light came on and I was just wondering what implications this may have. That was yesterday and now its off but I am really anal about lights coming on, especially the check engine light. Any light you can shed on this would help me sleep a little better tonight.....

Thanks
P.S. Yes I plugged the MAF back in:lol:

·
1,536 Posts
If the CEL came on because you forgot to plug the MAF back in, but you've now got it plugged in and the CEL is off, there are probably no significant implications. The computer will store a trouble code related to when the MAF was unplugged, but, if the fault doesn't recur, the computer will eventually forget it.

Biggest potential problem I see is if you are due for an emissions test soon, and they pull trouble codes as part of that test. They'll likely fail you for an MAF code in memory. Personally, I don't like to leave codes in memory, because then when a real fault occurs, you have to sort out which codes are "old" and which are pertinent to the current problem. I'd just hook it up to a code reader and clear the trouble code.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts