GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one magnaflow muffler right now and I like the way it sounds I'm just looking for something a little bit louder. If I got it true dualed would there be a significant difference in the sound or should I not even waste my time?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Cut your pipe after the muffler exit if you dont mind losing the tip. It makes it a lot louder. a man once told me that one 3" pipe has more volume than two 2" pipes

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd kinda like to keep the tips if I was able.

·
Registered
128 Posts
You could run it out before the tire, it would make it louder and you would still have the tip.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That would be a good idea but I've always had a thing for straight pipes out the back. I'll look around online of some pics of the tips coming out before the tire to help me make up my mind. I appreciate your help though I can tell I'll enjoy this site haha.

---------- Post added at 02:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 PM ----------

One more thing this might sound really dumb but when it comes to pictures on computers I'm a little lost, how can I get my signature pic bigger like yours, you need a magnifying glass to see mine haha

·
Registered
128 Posts
go to tinypic.com and upload the file you want, chose your size and get the link that says forum. then paste that code in your sig.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright man thank you

·
Registered
136 Posts
nice, i run the 3" pipe, sounds good, not extremely loud though. @chad513 how is that bully dog triple gt performance tuner working out for you? im thinking of getting one but everyone has been saying get the diablo. i like the idea of reding how much mpg's im getting. do you use driving coach? how is it?

thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
What Magnaflow are you running? I have a Flowmaster 40 series on mine with a 3in pipe and sounds good. If you are looking to get just sound out of it i would recommend running a dual set up, however you are going to loose some power, If you are looking for performance and a good sound i would say go with the 40 series and a 3in. You are going to get more power out of a single exhaust, but you'll get louder out of a dual with two 40 series.

·
Registered
136 Posts
very interesting, how do you loose power through a dual exhaust system? same with an x pipe or H pipe?

·
Registered
58 Posts
you are going to loose a small amount of hp from the airflow being slowed down apposed to using a single with a smaller diameter pipe.

·
Registered
136 Posts
but wouldn't the air flow be increased with two pipes or a larger diameter pipe? A bigger pipe = less restriction right? Its easier to blow through a big gulp straw than a coffee stir stick/ straw. how is it any different with an engine? and with an x pipe don't the opposing cylinders pull the gasses through the pipe on the opposite stroke?

·
Registered
128 Posts
nice, i run the 3" pipe, sounds good, not extremely loud though. @chad513 how is that bully dog triple gt performance tuner working out for you? im thinking of getting one but everyone has been saying get the diablo. i like the idea of reding how much mpg's im getting. do you use driving coach? how is it?

thanks
it works ok, it did make a difference, i dont think it is as much as the diablo but i do like being able to check everything in my truck through it,

·
Registered
183 Posts
I run a Y pipe where my muffler was. On your truck 3-3.5" tips sound pretty darn good with no popping. Nice and deep. Two of my buddies are running that set up on an 04 Silverado with the 5.3L v8 and the other is an 06 Silverado witht he same motor. It sounds pretty nice. I paid $20 bucks for them to replace my muffler with the Y pipe and I haven't looked back. LOVE IT! Which way are your tips coming out?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They are comin straight out the back

·
Registered
183 Posts
If you were to cut the muffler off, that would give it good sound. It wouldn't be as loud in the cab since you won't be echoing off of things coming out the sides. When I cut my muffler off, I did not notice too much of a power loss, it was already gone fromt he tires. :) good luck on the decision.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
but wouldn't the air flow be increased with two pipes or a larger diameter pipe? A bigger pipe = less restriction right? Its easier to blow through a big gulp straw than a coffee stir stick/ straw. how is it any different with an engine? and with an x pipe don't the opposing cylinders pull the gasses through the pipe on the opposite stroke?
The way I have understood it is that less back pressure is good to a point. the pipe size also depends on gas engine displacement I believe, with the larger motors they say that around the 3" single (and 2.5" true duals) is where you start to lose too much back pressure. I also think the adding an H or X pipe to a true dual will actually add some power as it evens out the exhaust flow. I read something on the pipe diameter in one of the off road adventure magazines put out by 4 wheelparts, but it was a while back.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I just installed a single 3" Super 44 Flowie on my Sub. Sounds pretty good, though I do get quite a bit of popping. I think this is because my pipe reduced to 2-3/4 after the muffler. Anybody else believe this is the cause? I will eventually replace it and run 3" all the way back, but money is a little bit of an issue at this moment...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts