GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so a little back story first.....
A few weeks ago I was greasing everything under the truck when I noticed that the rubber bushing around the carrier bearing was completely gone, so the driveline was just hanging out in there and I could move it all over. Even like this never really had any driving issues. so I get a new carrier bearing and when looking at doing the job read that it needed to be pressed on. So I decided to take the easy route because I needed it done sooner than later and took it to a 4x4 truck shop to have them do it. Said 1 hour labor so about $85 all said and done plus $100 for the bearing.

Now for the issue. I only drive the truck 1 or 2 times a week, but ever since then (started the day I got it fixed), I will occasionally get massive driveline shake at take off and it feels and sounds like something is about to rip out under the truck. I pretty much have to completely stop then take off again to get it to stop (which is a little difficult once you take off from a stop light with people behind you. The problem is I cant just get it too happen if I try. I can drive in the city all day and it will only do it once or twice, but will always happen at least once. I probably should have taken it back in that week to have them look at it and I didnt. So I got under there and checked to see if a ujoint was bad after they pulled out the driveline but I am not getting any play (maybe I am doing wrong and someone can explain the check again). I checked to make sure the spacer was put back for the carrier bearing drop and it was. It was facing the right way (it says front with an arrow). I dont get vibration while driving which is why its so frustrating because it randomly happens. I checked for dents on the driveshaft but figure that will give me more of a vibration while driving. Not sure how to check for other driveline issues. Maybe I should just cut the rubber out of the carrier bearing again since it wasnt doing it before (ok just kidding on that).
Any thoughts, suggestions, opinions? I should have some time to look at it more tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks
David

truck info is in sig

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Did they rebalance the drive shaft after the work was done? Because we rebuilt my driveshaft in my s10, and I put all new carrier bearing and u joints in it. I had to have mine rebalanced afterwards, because it had a mild case of the shakes over 40mph.. Just a thought...

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Amy, Thinking that I'm gonna need to take it to a driveline place and have it checked out since I cant figure it out.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I took it back to the shop on Thursday and they think that the problem was that the shaft was hitting a lip on the new carrier bearing. I could see where there had been contact. Not sure why it would have been so intermittent, but they bent the lip up and I drove it Friday without an issue. I wont drive it again really until this saturday so well see if that fixed the problem. It must have just been in the right spot on take off and then once it hit kept it out of balance just enough to keep it hitting. All I can say is that when it was knocking it sounded and felt like something was going to rip apart in the driveline. Heres to crossing my fingers and hoping that solves the problem.

·
Registered
660 Posts
David,

I am glad to hear that the concern seems to have been resolved. Feel free to contact me in the future if any concerns or questions arise. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts