GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new to the forum. I have a 1999 Chevy Tahoe 4wd with the 5.7 Vortec that ive been working on, its my daily driver.

A little background. I had a misfire show up a few weeks ago, po1345, po141, po161 codes all stored. After some research, decided to do timing set (truck as 201k on it), new districbutor, new timing cover, and new crank sensor. I do the job, put it all back together, all is good. Except after a couple days a major oil leak shows up on passenger front side of the motor. I did notice where the bottom of timing cover didnt appear to be sealed very well, so i buy another cover, and do the job again, this time with a new harmonic balancer as well. Start the truck, no leaks anywhere. Let it idle for a good 30 minutes probably, take it down the road, pull back up and theres oil everywhere under the motor, mainly on passenger side front. Am I missing something??

Can y'all please point me in the right direction?! I cannot pinpoint this leak and its driving me crazy. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
98 gmc k1500 5.7
556 Posts
the timing cover on these are tricky at best , i found the best way to make sure they seal correctly is to drop pan , install cover then replace pan, the pan need to squeeze up into cover to seal, not cover squeeze down, and put a small glob of gasket maker on mating surface where block, timing cover, and oil pan meet, tighten bolts from center out , install pan after timing cover is fully installed

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
I have not done this yet but I swear iv read the timing cover is a one use item. I could be wrong but.... have a look into that.

Al

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 460k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
1,435 Posts
I have not done this yet but I swear iv read the timing cover is a one use item. I could be wrong but.... have a look into that.

Al
The OP notes he did buy a new unit and had the same experience. So there must be something wrong with the process, at this point.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts