GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright either I'm retarded or blind, or both ! After two hours of looking for the MAP Sensor on my 98 7.4L, I still cannot find it :shocked:

I have referred to the ALLDATADIY website, but all it shows is a graphic of it's appearance, not its location... Perhaps this graphic they provide is wrong and I am looking for the incorrect part, or it is married to another part that disguises it's appearance...

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Nope that's the part. On older models it was mounted on a bracket which was mounted on the manifold rearward of the EGR. You might find that yours is mounted on the firewall maybe(??)
I can't put my hand on my book right now, but that pic is the correct pic of the module.
Best bet is to trace your vac lines (if possible) from your throttle body.
There shouldn't be too many (maybe 5 max), and one will go directly to the MAP.:great:

·
Super Moderator
3,377 Posts
I didn't realize that MAP sensors could be relocated to somewhere not on the intake line...shows how much I've looked for 'em since I learned about the in high school lol

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I didn't realize that MAP sensors could be relocated to somewhere not on the intake line...shows how much I've looked for 'em since I learned about the in high school lol
Not sure I get what you're thinking here.
The MAP sensor always has a direct feed off of the manifold, and typically its connected at the throttle body base.

The MAP would get incorrect barro info if it were to be hooked up anywhere else, or in line with another sensor that is dependent upon vac.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Can you post a picture of your engine, maybe we can point it out for you.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Alright either I'm retarded or blind, or both
Easy now. There's only room for 1 retarded member here. I've got that all locked down:sarcastic:

Is there a way you can snap a picture?

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Easy now. There's only room for 1 retarded member here. I've got that all locked down:sarcastic:

Is there a way you can snap a picture?
See now Jamie is just trying to act retarded by repeating what Gary already suggested.

Way to have an original thought there Todd....lol

j/k

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wait, I want to be the local retard... I have rights you know :lol: CAN YOU SPELL ACLU ?

Alright enough of that.. Thanks for the help guys... I'll check it out... I just can't figure out this mis-fire... It doesn't make sense... Follow the story if you can, or are interested...

After the purchase at auction about a month ago $4,000... I knew the poor truck was neglected for maintenance since day 1 and it was a theft recovery from an insurance sale... but I needed a truck to tow my race car to the track and this seemed to be a perfect fit...

Anyway, first thing was oil change and I was shocked that an engine could still run on black GOO... Then air filter change... YIKES !!! OEM with the oringinal production date stamped on it 1998 and the Sahara Desert imbedded in it...

I knew I was in trouble... I plugged in my scantool to see what was what... and everything looked ok without DTC's... The car seemed to idle properly, run properly, etc...

Then I decided to check the plugs and they looked typically worn with equal rust colored deposits, but degraded... So, being the proud parent I installed new plugs and solid wires, but used HOT platinum plugs (9) instead of the OEM spec copper (6)... Thinking like a race engine guy that runs 100 + octane on the track, "hotter plugs are more effecient"...

Needless to say, the engine runs great under throttle, but after it sits at idle for a minute, it mis-fires like mad and throws a pending P0300 DTC...

Anyway... It has towed my race car to the track and back... Considering what it cost me, it's worth the price...

Here's some video of the race car, not the Suburban... :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM0ezFbiyaY

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
You replaced your plugs, and wires, but did you replace cap and rotor?
If everything is is still factory, then odds are good that the cap and rotor are factory too.

Maybe I missed it, but I just didn't see anything suggesting you changed those as well.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Ok, I see you already responded to a similar suggestion in a different thread. So ignore my previous post. Just keep us posted on your progress:great:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts