GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my short list of To Do's with my Stealth Burb Project is a flat (matte) black paint job. Does anyone have any experience with these awesome looking paint jobs?

Looking for ideas on cost and type (hear you can go silk, flat, matte). Some of these rigs I am seeing with the flat black look are incredible.

If you do not know what I am talking about look up the Big and Rob Truck. They call it murdering out and it looks amazing.

Heres a few links to some nice murdered out jobs.

Matte Paint Jobs - Black Matte Paint

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
yea Rob and Big's suburban looks amazing... I say go for the paint job... dont know much about cost tho but paint can get expensive depending on what you do

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
yep rob and big have one bad ass ride. For some reason I think I remember hearing that you can see every/any mistake you make with that paint job.

·
Registered
63 Posts
On Spike-TV on Trucks about a year ago they did one of their prdjects , a mid 50s ford with reguler poly black then for the second stage they used a flat or satin clear . Check your local paint suppliers to see what they offer .

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have a white 04 and i asked the painter here about doing it flat white and he said it would be about 1500 to fix all scratches in it all they do is sand the clear coat off and then put a flattening agent in the clear coat and thats how they get a flat color

·
Registered
592 Posts
I've seen quite a few vehicles with that type of paint. It can either look really awesome or completely horrible. :)

Like other said, you've gotta do it just right, and really take care of that paint. Not to mention it has to go with the rest of the vehicle. And if you do it, don't forget to post pics!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Back in the day (early 70's), I had the rear end of my 'Vette blacked out racer style. With a pin stripe at the perimeter, it looked awesome. I can't begin to describe the sheen, not glossy but more gloss than dead flat.
I got many complements, and was quite pleased. Then came the down side... some ham handed hooligan at the tire store scraped the bitchin' black with a jack handle. I went back to the original body shop body shop, but they were unable to get a satisfactory match. The whole rear had to be painted, and it was never quite the same. With matte finishes, there is no option of polishing out dings and scratches. I can only begin to imagine what a bother this would be when the whole car, not just an accent, is matte. It might be okay for a show car, but a real liability for your daily driver.

·
Registered
2 Posts
the only thing i cant decide is if i do a flat white paint job on it should i do my wheels as well or get them powdercoated a glossy black to kinda cancel out and give it that little pop.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Black Matte paint gives a gety rugged and industrial look. :great:

·
Registered
307 Posts
as far as cost goes if you have alot of time, and an air compressor, then you could do it yourself, a buddy of mine just did his car cost him about $200, but he had a gun, air compressor, and a seperator already, he just had to buy the supplies, but this is if you have a good amount of time and can do your research, took him about 3 1/2 weeks to do the entire project, thats with going to school and work during the day and working on the car at night in his driveway/garage, if you still havent decided what to do ill get some pics of it later and post them up, it turned out pretty good for him not having any body work experience before

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
as far as cost goes if you have alot of time, and an air compressor, then you could do it yourself, a buddy of mine just did his car cost him about $200, but he had a gun, air compressor, and a seperator already, he just had to buy the supplies, but this is if you have a good amount of time and can do your research, took him about 3 1/2 weeks to do the entire project, thats with going to school and work during the day and working on the car at night in his driveway/garage, if you still havent decided what to do ill get some pics of it later and post them up, it turned out pretty good for him not having any body work experience before
I've known guys that have done this. Spare time, etc. I knew a guy who bought Jeeps, did something like this, and could usually sell "flip" 6 Jeeps per year with this type of treatement. :great:

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Did the matte black paint job ever happen? If so, let's see it!!

I was just watching Rob & Big and it reminded me of this thread :lol:

·
Registered
66 Posts
SEM makes a matte black kit for a reasonable price, otherwise if you go to some automotive finishing stores, you can get what is called a vinyl, which is typically used in underhood colors and that is a single stage enamel that wont have a whole lot of luster which is what your going for, and last but not least you could go with a flattener in your clear, never used the flattener before so i cant tell you how that works. as far as price goes it all depends on who you know and how much your local automotive refinishing store feels they want to charge lol

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Rob and Bigs truck is sweet! Be sure to keep us posted w pis :great:

·
Registered
343 Posts
do it! do it! :glasses:
dude ive wanted to see this done on a truck for a while... if it costs 1500 to do then i think its worth the money... all you need to do is really take care of it once its done

·
Registered
24 Posts
unless u want a clearcoat u can go with a black epoxy primer it's pretty durable but if not u can buy whats called a flattening agent, for ur clear and as it dries out it should dull out in shine to a "flat" appearance

·
Registered
202 Posts
We did this to my old speedboat about two weeks ago. We just used the Rustoleum Flat Black rattle cans though. Turned out great. We still need to clear it though.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
We did this to my old speedboat about two weeks ago. We just used the Rustoleum Flat Black rattle cans though. Turned out great. We still need to clear it though.
Let's see some photos of that!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts