GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I've just got my '03 Suburban Z71, and I'm really happy with it. Considering changing wheels, though. I've always thought the original wheels on the Tahoes and Burbs are ridiculousely small (no offence, just my opinion), so now I'm looking for something bigger. I like rather small rims (16") and a lot of rubber. Something along the line of the pic below.

So - what would be the biggest tire size that fits on the car without a lift? (I searched the forum whithout luck). I don't want any wheel well rubbing or need for trimming. And how big can they be without making the car hopelessly slow when accelerating?

Anyone did this and can post some pics?

Thank's in advance for any tips!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I don't have any pics but I'd probly go with a 265/75/16. Nice size tire. There wont be any rubbing at all. You may be able to fit a 285/75/16 but it would be tight. If your looking to lift at all that would be my recommendation. Also take off will be much better with the 265's but a new set of gears will take car off all your launch needs. :great:

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I have 265 70 16's on my Suburban and I have no rub at all.
What I dont understand is that you said that you think the Suburban/tahoe rims are small and that you would rather have 16" rims? Stock subruban wheels are 16 inch unless they changed that with the newer body style ones...:neutral:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have 265 70 16's on my Suburban and I have no rub at all.
What I dont understand is that you said that you think the Suburban/tahoe rims are small and that you would rather have 16" rims? Stock subruban wheels are 16 inch unless they changed that with the newer body style ones...:neutral:
Yeah, I was a bit unclear on that. What I mean is that I think the whole rim/wheel setup is too small for that size of a car. 16" rim size is fine but the tire needs to be a lot bigger to match the car. I have 245/75/16 today and that's pathetic (IMO!).

·
Registered
533 Posts
i have 245/70/17's on my hoe no lift kit still got an inch or left to spare no rubbing my tires are huge since the 17's are what was shipped with the truck when built :)

i'l take a pic when the rain stops

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
yeah my dads burb has the 245 75 16 and I don't like em. When you add that extra little bit of tire, even what I added it changes the look of the truck. The biggest I've heard of fitting with minimal or no rubbing is 285 70 16 but I've never used that size so I really cant say anything about that. I noticed that mine handles slightly better with that size tire on there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2001 Suburban and for the last three years I have been running 285/75/16 tires. I had a little rubbing on the plastic wells at first. The truck looks great but I suspect that the dealer turned the torsion bars to fit the tires. The ride is harsher but the truck drives great and looks perfect. I get alot of compliments about it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts