GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am twnscrw. (Refers to diesel power drive line arrangement on ocean tugs.) My rig- 02 Sierra 2500 HD 8.1L- Allison1000 series trans. Wanna buy it? Dig deep.
I lurked too long w/o intro, and got lopped. Hope I'm still in good graces.

·
Registered
‘01 Silverado 2500HD 8.1/Allison 5sp xcab long bed
3,563 Posts
Howdy and welcome.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Howdy
Monooi here in sunny east Texas. I'm retired and look for the easiest way to do things. Spend a lot of time on you tube and forums to learn to be better at repairs. That and I'm a lazy ^%#. Just finished putting powered tow mirrors on my 1995 K3500 that had manual mirrors before. I'd like to post my findings and sort of a how-to.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I started my trek by finding out if my specific pickup had power mirrors as an option. Turned out that there was a 10 year period in which there was a factory option for power mirrors from 1988 to 1998 for GMC pickups K1500 through K3500 including some Tahoe package options.
In all my online searches I couldn’t find a verbal description nor video as to how to install power tow mirrors on a non power mirrored truck. Further research revealed that a good portion of the wiring for the power mirrors passes through the Body Control Module or BCM. I felt that this could be remedied by bypassing the BCM and wiring the mirrors directly to the mirror switch using the switch pin out as a guide. I found the manufacturer stamp on the mirror switch and contacted customer support for the pin out.

I found a 1998 GMC K2500 with power mirrors, with the same door panel configuration as my 1995.
I purchased the mirror switch and wiring loom from the driver side door panel as well as the wiring loom from both passenger and driver mirror at my local salvage yard.
I found a pair of aftermarket power tow mirrors that fit my pickup and proceeded to create a wiring loom to connect all together.
Once you have the pin out for the mirror switch, its fairly straight forward to BENCH build the wiring loom. You simply connect factory wiring loom from the switch, to wires provided on the new mirrors. A note about the new mirrors, when you plug them into the factory connector coming from the mirror switch they may not operate the correct mirror motor you will need to splice the correct wires to the correct motor.

I powered up the switch using a homemade 12v converter made from a computer power supply and Viola powered mirrors for my truck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts