GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope someone here can help me out. I have 2013 Silverado 1500 LT with 160+ and she's been acting up the last couple of weeks. The check engine light came on throwing code p0305 which is a misfire in cylinder 5. So we replaced plugs, wires and coils on all 8 Cyl. Now it will run fibne for a few days then start to misfire again and the following service messages popped up: Stabilitrak off, traction control off, service stabilitrack, service traction control. As soon as these popped up the truck started idling really rough. Then I shut it down and it will be fine for an undetermined random time, then start all over again.

·
Registered
15,171 Posts
It is probably the throttle sensor on the throttle body.

There is a big thread on the site, try to find it and read through, see if the symptoms match.

·
Registered
15,171 Posts
It is fuel injected, the throttle body just delivers air.
The sensor (actually a motor) follows the movements of the gas pedal, opening and closing the throttle body butterfly.
Find the thread I referenced and take a read.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Sean, seriously dude? You think a resident expert with over 12,000 posts didn’t know your 2013 Chevy is fuel injected? C’mon man. You come to a premier forum for advice on GM products, expect you’ll get a solid answer. Here’s the thread. It’s been on this forum for a decade. You’re welcome.

Reactions: RayVoy

·
Registered
15,171 Posts
Thanks Reb, let's give him the benefit of doubt and think he may have thought I was talking about a problem that applied to throttle body injection.

Btw, thanks for digging out that thread.

·
Registered
331 Posts
You’re right Ray, apologies to the OP. No problem, you know that one used to be a pinned thread in the Silverado forum before the “update”. Should probably pin it again. What say you MODERATORS?

Reactions: RayVoy

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm sorry, I did not wish to offend anyone. I'm new here and have no idea how much experience anyone here has. I was merely trying to put forth the proper information to help get the correct answer to my problem. I did not realize I had posted that in a mean or degrading fashion. I'm sorry for having done that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I hope someone here can help me out. I have 2013 Silverado 1500 LT with 160+ and she's been acting up the last couple of weeks. The check engine light came on throwing code p0305 which is a misfire in cylinder 5. So we replaced plugs, wires and coils on all 8 Cyl. Now it will run fibne for a few days then start to misfire again and the following service messages popped up: Stabilitrak off, traction control off, service stabilitrack, service traction control. As soon as these popped up the truck started idling really rough. Then I shut it down and it will be fine for an undetermined random time, then start all over again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2010 Silverado did the same thing. 111,422 mile on a 5.3 L V-8 with EFM system. Cause was catastrophic valve train failure, cylinder #7. New engine time. Engine tear down showed oil starved lifter wear in cylinder #7 and considerable oil sludge in the left rocker cavity while the right side was clean.

·
Registered
15,171 Posts
And that is the reason every LS engine should be using synthetic oil.

Synthetic oil does not sludge.

Of note, there is a small filter in the passageway to the lifters.
This filter must be changed, but not as often as the oil filter canister.
I suspect this filter will sludge and restrict oil flow.

Use "AFM oil filter" to search for the filter info

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My 2010 Silverado did the same thing. 111,422 mile on a 5.3 L V-8 with EFM system. Cause was catastrophic valve train failure, cylinder #7. New engine time. Engine tear down showed oil starved lifter wear in cylinder #7 and considerable oil sludge in the left rocker cavity while the right side was clean.
O dear.... Thats not fun. Well thanks for the info. O boy the fun begins.....

·
Registered
15,171 Posts
Sean, don't panic, your mis-fire is cylinder #5, the AFM lifters that fail are #1, 4, 6 and 7.

At this time, you have no AFM worries.

Did you read the thread that @Rebel_Bowtie linked into this thread?

There is a reference to a service bulletin (a TSB) within that thread, read it and see if it describes your problem.

If that is your problem, GM will repair it for free.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sean, don't panic, your mis-fire is cylinder #5, the AFM lifters that fail are #1, 4, 6 and 7.

At this time, you have no AFM worries.

Did you read the thread that @Rebel_Bowtie linked into this thread?

There is a reference to a service bulletin (a TSB) within that thread, read it and see if it describes your problem.

If that is your problem, GM will repair it for free.
If I was reading the right thred, it spoke of " reduction power " error. I never got that error.

·
Registered
15,171 Posts
True enough, that's Limp Home Mode; perhaps yours hasn't degraded enough for the computer to reach that state.

If the mis-fire is unique to #5, it may be something impacting only #5. You've changed things related to spark, it may be fuel delivery.
It may be valve related.
Maybe a compression test will show something.

However, none of the above should turn on the traction/stability messages.

A bad brake light switch will cause both of those messages to pop up.

And, to make matters worse, none of the above will cause a rough un-driveable engine; yes, a mis-fire in #5 will cause some roughness; but not driveable roughness.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts