GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I just had my motor rebuild,, and the retard that did it lost a hose that goes from the driver side valve cover to the breather unit on top of the TBI.

help, I have to drive like 6 hours tomorrow, and I need that piece, I can't afford to get water or dust into my valve cover.

thanks in advance.

Soul

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
just found out... its the breather valve...where can I find one u think?
\

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
C'mon a little help, model, engine size, year maybe?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
93 350 half ton 4x4

sorry

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Picture of mine

Here is a picture of the breather tube on my 93. If you are missing the part, it shouldn't be too hard to use a length of fuel line. Don't use heater hose, since it won't handle exposure to fuel vapors. Power steering hose would also be a suitable substitute.

Attachments

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that is awesome, thanks,.

question though... what does that do? just equalize vacuum between valves, and tbi?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok,

what do I do know, I can't get that part. could I just seal the hole left on the valve cover, and use a vacuum cap on the TBI side?

or is there something going on there that I Don't know about?

thanks for all your help in advance.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
It is a part of the emission control system. Your solution is a temporary one, but the crankcase vapors are routed to the intake through the tube.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I kinda figured, but we don't have emission laws/testing wher I live. Will doing this cause any kind of problems. I didn't think it would based on the fact that older carb unit didn't even have anything like this at all.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Go green

FYI: You should ventilate the crankcase vapors. Either back to the engine to be reburned or out to the open atmosphere. The 'green' thing to do is go the closed system with a PCV. Open systems usually are trouble free but high mileage engines with a lot of blow by can puke oil on the engine.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Wouldn't a peace of the right size copper tubeing be even better?
With rubber on each end.

·
Registered
38 Posts
bad idea

As a mechanic i would advise to fix it right. The pcv system is not only a emmission control but also equalizes the pressure in the crankcase, and purges a goo chunk of the acids and unburned fuel in the crankcase. If you plug the hole not only will you contaminate you oil but the pressure build up in th crankcase will start pushing oil past your seal and gaskets, or the unburned fuel can ignite in the crankcase if theres enough of it. (its almost cool when it blowws the pan gasket out from the bolts)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts