GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am analyzing larger tires. These things are all over the place. Tire calculators show a 285/65R18 as 32.5 by 11.22. However if you look at the manufacturer sizes on say the Nitto Trail Grappler 285/65R18 versus firestone dest. m/t - one is 32.93 by 11.93 and firestone is 32.8 by 11.5 and the duratrac 295/65R18 is 33.1 by 11.8. What the F. Then a Duratrac 275/70R18 is 33.2 x 11.

Can anyone shed light on this. Also any thoughts on a 285/65/R18 vs a 275/70R18? Would you go for the definite 33 in a narrower tire or would you go slightly shorter but wider?

I want the tallest/widest tire I can put on with a Readylift 2.25 front and rear. I want a true 33 not a 32.5. This makes it very difficult to decide. I don't even want to get into the cost factor..yet.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
First thing I would do is to decide what brand of tire I want, then choose the size they have available. All tires are not created equal, some are poor off road tires or poor on road tires, you are going to be paying over $1000 so I would choose performance and wear over a "look", but that's just me. You say you want a true 33"? If you look at specs, a 33x12.50 is usually 32.5" tall. Some of the dimensions you have posted only vary by a couple of tenths of an inch, so in reality they are basically the same, once mounted and on the truck you wouldn't be able to tell the difference by just looking at them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. Yea, I know what you're saying. Just looking for feedback to push me in a given direction. I am having a hard time deciding. I had 285/60R20 DuraTracs on my last truck (F150) and loved them. They were great in the snow, not bad with road noise and looked good(Wife loved the look too, thats a factor here if I'm to spend 1200 on tires when the current ones have only 5600 miles on them.)

I was hoping to find something comparable but maybe save a few bucks. I am just seing posts of rubbing issues. It makes me hesitate on my choice. My choices have been narrowed to Terra Grapplers, Trail Grapplers, GY Duratracs, BFG TA KO, Firestone Dest. M/T. I am also hesitant on a M/T that may not have any siping for on-road snow/wet.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I was in the same boat as you are now jjcrow when I got new tires. I wanted a true 33" tire and although 285's are excepted at 33's I wanted the real deal. From research I found that Nitto's run large and BFg's run small. Like Adam said, no 2 tire brands are created equal. I got a 295/70R17 which is a 33.4x11.62 and I am running the ReadyLift 2.25" kit.

I know that GY makes a tire in a 295/65R18 which would be a true 33 and you whould should not have any issues with rubbing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts