GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i just got a bunch of stuff done to my burb this week (new ac, drop, air shocks what not. but now on the passenger side of the car there is a knock it sounds like it coming from under the car but can't tell if its in the block or not doesn't sound like a rod knock. btw i had an old tbird that had the same problem the motor mounts were bad tranny slipped alot, knocked just like im hearing on my burb. could it be time for new motor mounts?

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
To see if it is a motor mount, just open the hood.

A helper is good for this. Have them put their foot on the brake, shift into drive and push on the gas pedal.

Now have them do the same in reverse.

If it is a motor mount when they accelerate the engine twists first in one direction and then in the other when you go from forward to rv.

It should be an equal amount in both directions.

If not the mount on the side the engine raises the most is shot.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Also pull the dust cover on the tranny and check the flexplate, they have a habit of cracking around the bolt holes.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
ok so i just got a bunch of stuff done to my burb this week (new ac, drop, air shocks what not. but now on the passenger side of the car there is a knock it sounds like it coming from under the car but can't tell if its in the block or not doesn't sound like a rod knock. btw i had an old tbird that had the same problem the motor mounts were bad tranny slipped alot, knocked just like im hearing on my burb. could it be time for new motor mounts?
You should post a some step-by-step article on what you did! At least snap a couple of pics of that "after"...

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Tighten everything they fooled with-left out bushing/spacer?

I would be very suspicious that it isn't a motor mount, but that something was loosened when this other work was done.
The noise wasn't there before the work was done,right?Pretty good indicator that they did something wrong. Something could be loose,or a bushing/spacer etc might have been left out.
Check the motor mount, but I wouldn't spend any money on it until I had redone everything they touched.
Don't those drop kits have an element of adj? Or maybe some extra spacers?
The motor might be moving(as it should) and bumping into something that is now closer(because of the drop) than it was before.
Check the drop kit,and the air shocks.
The best way is to get someone you really trust to put it in D with the brake on while you check from the side.If you are extremely brave/crazy,go underneath while in drive(brake on)
However,I wouldn't go under with the motor on in D-waaaay to dangerous.Go under with it chocked, but not raised,AND NOT RUNNING.Look for close "fits".
Forget the motor mount for now.It might be dead, but the drop and air shocks are a better bet.
Luck,
Charlie
PS-I can't count the number of times I screwed something up while "improving or fixing it-ESPECIALLY IF I DID ANY OF THE WORK AT NIGHT!!
I

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
here you go steve i have to say it looks alot better lowered

btw could it be an exhaust leak because the manifolds and really rusted and have been sitting for a while i thats what it is bcuz along with that knock. i hear a ts ts ts ts ts ts ts so i think it could be it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts