GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Good news! I should have my suburban by Wednesday! I'm so excited! Anyways. I wanna put a couple antennas on the truck. One is the Wilson Trucker Cellular Antenna (link here; it's the trucker Mirror/Pole mount antenna), and the other will probably be something along the lines of either a K40 or a Wilson CB antenna. I can't think of where on the truck I can mount these bad boys. I don't have a roof rack (yet), and neither of the antennas will be big enough to consider mounting them off the bumper. I was thinking I could mirror mount them, but IIRC, the 91's don't have rearview mirrors with anywhere flat and metal I could mount them. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know and understand this, but these antennas are supposed to be mounted on big-rigs, so I can't exactly run a magnet mount antenna or anything. As long as I bolt the antennas to a metal part on the truck, I will have sufficient groundplane. I may just wait to install the antennas until I put a roof rack on the thing.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I know and understand this, but these antennas are supposed to be mounted on big-rigs, so I can't exactly run a magnet mount antenna or anything. As long as I bolt the antennas to a metal part on the truck, I will have sufficient groundplane. I may just wait to install the antennas until I put a roof rack on the thing.
I haven't been in the market for an antenna in some time, but I was under the impression that the k40 was mag mount. I personally wouldn't buy one, I think the wilson is a far better antenna.
Were you running twin wilson mirror mounts?
If you already own the mirror mount whip(s) then you might consider a bumper mount, with a mast.
If you don't already have the antennas, get a magnet mounted little wil.
They get out just as good as their bigger cousins, and can still handle up to 300 watts (in case you're running a linear or modulator).

I used to have a Wilson 1000 (mag) on my 'burb, and I would always have to either unscrew the load/whip from the base or get out, and set it back up after going through a drive thru like McDonalds, or the local coffee shop.
It's just too high.

·
Super Moderator
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
re-reading the specs on the wilson mag-mount antennas, I do believe that I have been swayed by you to go with a wilson 1000 mag mount (might do a 300 depending on the money I have to blow) and a wilson mag mount cell antenna instead of the trucker style. The only advantage the trucker mount cell antenna would have for me is that it would put the antenna higher up which could potentially get me some extra gain being ever slightly closer to Line of Sight (the boy scout camp I frequently head up to Mississippi has horrible cell phone coverage). In the end, I think I'll be happy with that arrangement.

Oh, and on the cb antenna front, the K40 was one of the best you could get, until Wilson rolled out their line of antennas. I guess I wanted a K40 because it would have been "vintage". I haven't bought any antennas yet, so I still have time to decide.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
What kind of cell phone are you using that needs an external antenna?

·
Super Moderator
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
as of this moment, I have a motorola v551, but I am upgrading to a razr v3 this week. I have cingular as my cell carrier. However, where I mainly want the antenna for, noone gets cell service reliably. Cingular does get the best chance of coverage out there.... It's fairly wooded and the camp is on the fringe of the coverage area. It's funny, cingular customers can literally get cell service by simply crossing the road to a campground that's on the other side of the road.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Funny you mention camp and Cingular. I have Cingular and when I go hunting it sems I am the only one with signal enough to make and recieve calls. My friends have Verizon and T-Mobile but lose signal up in the woods.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I do believe that I have been swayed by you to go with a wilson 1000 mag mount (might do a 300 depending on the money I have to blow) and a wilson mag mount cell antenna instead of the trucker style.
Are you running a boomer, or texas star??:tongue: (naughty...naughty!)

Oh, and on the cb antenna front, the K40 was one of the best you could get, until Wilson rolled out their line of antennas. I guess I wanted a K40 because it would have been "vintage".
I agree k40 was the pinnacle in it's day, until Wilson showed up. I think the thing I liked best about the k40 was the 1/4 turn, and release.
Again, I haven't antenna shopped for some time, but last I heard, I thought k40 was out of business, or was bought out by someone else.
Not trying to redirect this thread, but it's kind of a related question.
What CB setup are you running? Also do you shoot skip on occasion?

·
Super Moderator
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
K40 is out of the cb antenna business. They are still around doing radar detectors I think. As of now, I have no radio setup. I'm probably going to get a Galaxy radio. I used to have a Cobra 100 or something but I returned it because it was a full-size trucker CB and it was too big for the little car I had. I was unfortunatley using a check radio shack mag mount antenna at the time, so my range was virtually nonexistant.

Shoot skip, I have no clue what the means..and my uncle's a trucker :eek:

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
K40 is out of the cb antenna business. They are still around doing radar detectors I think. As of now, I have no radio setup. I'm probably going to get a Galaxy radio. I used to have a Cobra 100 or something but I returned it because it was a full-size trucker CB and it was too big for the little car I had. I was unfortunatley using a check radio shack mag mount antenna at the time, so my range was virtually nonexistant.

Shoot skip, I have no clue what the means..and my uncle's a trucker :eek:
Some people call it "DX-land"
When conditions are right, you'll hear a load of noise on channels other than 19 (always noisy). What you'll hear is people from other states, or sometimes from other countries. Depending on how the conditions are. It will sound like everyone just decided to tune into that channel.
Conditions depend on the sun, and the activity of the sun.
Best time to catch it seems to be between 10am and 2pm.

Most recently within the last week, I heard some radio operators from Ohio that sounded as clear as the guy in the next neighborhood.
The farthest west, I've ever heard was Michigan, and farthest south was Portugal.

Do you have a model galaxy in mind?
I run a galaxy Pluto as a base, since I don't wish to leave it in my 'burb while I'm working on the engine. I used to have a RCI2950, and I liked it's features, but I love the Pluto.
My wife runs a Uniden pro 510XL, that gets out like a wild cat. For such a small radio it's a talker!

If you're just looking for 40 channels, and something small I would suggest the Uniden pro 510XL. http://www.rfwiz.com/UnidenPro510XL.htm
However you could always go this route...:tongue:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
I found one K40 on Ebay if interested.

I have a K40 on my winch bumper on my 87 Blazer. The convenience of just taking it off with a twist and throwing it in the back when not in use is great. Too bad they are hard to find now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Stay away from the K40's. they were ok for their time, but the Wilson absolutely crushes it in every way. If I were you, get the Wilson mag mounts for ur cb and cellular and call it a day. The Wilsons have much more gain in both transmit and receive and they're both almost the same price. Plus K40's aren't made anymore and the Wilsons are.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts