GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone on here has probably already done this, so I thought I'd simply ask before checking it out this afternoon.

I'm getting the gym socks smell coming from my air conditioning vents, so I'm assuming I need to treat the evaporator coils with anti microbial spray. Anyone else had to do this and can you advise if this is an easy task on the colorado? Also, anyone know right off hand where the evap coils drain to?

Thanks for any tips or diagrams that you may know of.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I believe that the newer GM trucks have a filter that can be changed. Havent looked into it myself yet but I'm thinking it would be easier than treating the coils ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll check into that also. Thanks for the tip.

I wish I had a copy of the diagnostic schematics and parts lists. I used to have this for my land rover, and you could use it to cross reference parts but also to do visual exploratory surgery before getting under the hood. It was very helpful, but I've not found anything similar for the colorado.

I believe that the newer GM trucks have a filter that can be changed. Havent looked into it myself yet but I'm thinking it would be easier than treating the coils ?

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
HAHAHAHA Thanks Jamie! :great:

The vent system in the Colorados are pretty air tight. I have found that if you leave the recirculating vent closed, moisture from the AC gets trapped in the HVAC airbox and starts to mildew, hence the moldy odor.

All you really have to do is turn off the recirculate button before you leave your truck especially if it's parked out in the hot sun. If the smell is heavy, turn the HVAC system on, set the fan speed to 3 and turn the recirc button on, then mist Febreeze (or any other oxidizing deodorizer of your choice) under the passenger side dash so it will get sucked into the system. Once you can smell the Febreeze or whatever you used coming out of the vents pretty strong, turn the recirc button off and after you hear the airbox vent open, turn the HVAC system off. Repeat as necessary.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts