GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Your motor looks good!

Little tidbit, ...always look for heavy duty "truck" transmissions" engine blocks, parts etc. You get better stuff at a cheaper cost.

Another thing I notice, the heater hose is parallel to the fuel line which could heat up the fuel too much on a hot summer day. Gotta make some heat insulation corrections so you don't get caught with a "Hot Soak" condition.

Hope your gonna use a electric fan??? A mechanical fan can gobble up to 20 horse power at 5 grand.

Lets see some more pictures.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have considered what you have said about the fan. I want to get it up and running and do some more work on it here and there. I want to hear it something fierce. Been in the making for a long time.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Use exhaust wrap for the heater hose if you have to. Option "B" is to get a carb heat dissipator plate underneath the carb.
Keep the carb and fuel lines cool as possible. I see a lot of heat issues.

Would love to reroute and reformat the wiring on your motor. Make it almost disappear on the intake manifold. Something you would see on Overhauling or Bitchin Rides.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just an update. I have gotten to drive it for the 1st time Monday. Still some adjustments to be made. Also just to be clear I' not the one doing the build but I am the owner. I just want to get that out there. The man doing this is James Bunton of Bunton-Lebe's Inc. of Statesville NC. I told him what I wanted , he told me what to get and he put it togather. The torque converter is going to be replaced. Could feel a little jolt when you take off . The motor fired right up on 1st try. Like I said a little here and there I'll be set. The hose that is close to the fuel line was pointed out that it may be to close the it. I asked about that. That is a water line that goes to the back of the intake to help cool the motor more. There is one on each side of the intake from thermostat housing , should be no problem. Thanks for your comments. It keeps me on my toes.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Impressive! Lot of the wrenches in the Carolina's are good with motors and stock car building.

Your're not gonna use a mechanical fan are you???

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
If your ever gonna buzz the motor over 5 grand, get the "larger" diameter alternator pully. Small diameter pully's throw belts at times.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Another tidbit few people know, a 400 trans gobbles over 100 horsepower (off the flywheel) when you hit 5 grand or more.

We had 2 courses of action in my time, use a super beefed up 350 tranny with no plastic parts or the Chrysler 727 tranny with Chevy trans mount adaptors.

Third choice was to use a power gobbling 400 trans out any heavy duty truck. Never a 400 out of a car or lighter truck.

Just an piece of experience I was exposed to.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
my budget is on going. I have some taking out of my paycheck to an account outside of normal deposits. I did however start at 6k and by luck have not hit that yet. My plane is motor 1st, body 2nd, interior 3rd. Then as time and money permits extras and add on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts