GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so long story short i broke off my driver side door handle trying to open it after it had slowly been getting harder and harder to open so after the fact i rolled down my window to let myself outwhen i did i heard a popping noise so i crawled out the passenger side ooend it from the outside it played around with the latch and now the outside handle wont work either and its stuck open

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Since the door is open, remove the door panel, and replace the interior latch. Chances are, the latch is in the closed position. This will not let you close the door. You would need to pull the latch, and release the part inside the door that hits the strike pin, and locks the door in place once its closed. Not the door lock part, the part that keeps the door closed. Most likely, the door hinge pins need to be replaced. This will make the door hard to open and close because the weight of the door is sitting on the door latch pin. This causes the door to drag when opening and closing, and fall some as it comes off of that pin. There are a ton of videos on this, on youtube. You should not have to pull the door handle hard to make it work as long as the door hinge pins are holding the weight of the door. These doors are heavy, about 80 LBS. The youtube videos, show people using a jack and helper to ballance the door while they change out the pins. I do not recommend this at all. The door needs to be supported from above. Ether an overhead crane, an engine lift, or even a large tree limb with a come-a-long will work, and the ballance point where you tie the strap, or rope is at the top forward corner where the window chanel curves down from horizontal towards the front fender.

Reactions: RayVoy
1 - 2 of 2 Posts