GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first Suburban I had was a 1988 Chev 1500 4X4 with a 350 and it was fully loaded not bad shape, well me and my wife and 2 kids went out last year on our may long weekend camp trip and was as usual great weather and fun until, on the way home the coloum tilt pins started to go very quickly. We were 75 miles up a forestry road and with one hand steering and one hand holding the shift leaver assembly from going into park and killing the engine it was a scary ride home and a long one 145 miles and a bucket of sweat we made it home, even daring to go freeway speeds (stupid now i look back) and i still went out and bought another one. (due to much shagrin from my wife) ND. 8)

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Wow, that's a new one to me. I've never heard of that happening to anyone. Glad you made it home.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Sounds like a scary ride! I've had a couple of older GM tilt colums get loose on me. Enough that I saw the value of buying the tools to correct the issue! In the older tilt columns, there are three torx screws that hold the tilt mech. tight. They can and do back out from time to time, but if you've got the right tools, it is a relatively easy fix.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts