GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I own a 2006 Chevy 3500 1 Ton Dump . Last week on my way to work the tighten fuel cap warning came on . I pull over and find my fuel cap is barley on . I always tighten it the best I can because I had a problem with the check engine light coming on for a loose fuel cap. Then the next morning I checked it and it was barley on again! I'm worried someone put something in my gas. The truck seems to be running ok . But now I'm paranoid. Its there anything that could've been put in the gas that takes awhile to ruin your engine?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Wow thats pretty crazy! For some reason though I feel like I've heard other people who've had this gas cap problem but I don't see how it could come loose. Also though if someone was putting something in your gas I feel like they would tighten the cap back on all the way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow thats pretty crazy! For some reason though I feel like I've heard other people who've had this gas cap problem but I don't see how it could come loose. Also though if someone was putting something in your gas I feel like they would tighten the cap back on all the way.
Yeah it is ntbush83, someone was definitely screwing with my truck. The cap was on maybe a half of turn thats it . I'm hoping they were just trying to steal my gas. Do you think I would've notice problems by now if something was in the tank? It amazes me that people have the balls to touch someones vehicle! I have locking caps now .

·
Registered
23 Posts
Good job with the locking caps, I got one and it's one less thing to worry agout. If you don't garage your vehicle you gotta have locking caps with gas prices what they are.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Maybe there stealing your gas?? I don't think someone would keep returning to put something in your tank.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Unless you've made some enemies I doubt they are putting crap in your gas tank. At todays prices they're probably stealing it.
As far as what they could put in it to ruin it, all I've ever heard of is sugar, but I don't know how long it takes to have an effect. I would pull your cap off & see if you see any residual around the filler neck.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
stephan, as you said before great minds think alike LOL.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
lol,it could be something as simple as the neighbor kid playing & doesn't get the cap back on tight. My friend caught his 4 year old with his gas cap off one day & had a handfull of dirt he was getting ready to "fill it up" for him :rofl:
He didn't know any better. To him it was just something to play with.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Years ago my friends son, also around 4yrs old WASHED the front of dads '58 black Corvette with a WIRE BRUSH.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
With fuel prices where they are it's more likely someones been trying to steal fuel from you.
At work we run a large fleet of Diesel trucks even keeping them locked inside a fenced compound we have at least one truck drained every two weeks (usually the driver that had to park in the farthest back dark corner of the lot).
When fuel prices got high a few years ago our corporate office had us buy locking fuel caps for all the trucks, three weeks after putting the caps on we'd spent over $3200 repairing trucks and about $300 replacing fuel, we quickly came to the conclusion that it was cheaper remove the locking fuel caps and leave the fuel tanks under a 1/4 tank at night, yea we gotta stop for fuel in the morning but at least we dont have to replace fuel filler necks ($220 + labor), fuel supply lines ($110 + labor), and fuel tanks ($860 + labor) because some piece of crap decided to cut or drill through them to get the fuel.
I recommend you get in the habit of leaving the fuel tank just above "E" after a while the thieves get the clue and go elsewhere.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I would have to agree that this is likely the result of someone trying to steal gas. If you are still having concerns that this could result in issues with the vehicle, I would recommend contacting your local dealership. They should be able to look into this for you. Please feel free to keep us posted. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts